Power-up Handler RS 5000

saultgeorge

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey folks. I created a routine in the power up handler folder in the controller in a 1769-L30ER. I wanted to have the controller go through a start sequence after a POWER LOSS. That is, controller has lost incoming power.
When I downloaded the program with that additional change plus others, the controller faulted, something to do with the power up routine. I cleared the fault and it runs fine.
Was this just because I DIDN'T lose power, so to speak, just did a download? In other words, is this normal?
The power up routine is it's own routine with it's own program tags. A-B said not to assign the routine in a task. There are, however, a couple of bits that are in the main task such as alarm reset and start.
Any help is always appreciated and thanks in advance. (I'm not sure how to include the logic on this post)

Been awhile but I think you need to clear the faults with the power up routine.
Pretty sure there’s a sample program in the samples folder showing how to do this.

From AB KB 22379

The power up handler in a Logix controller has one of two purposes. It can prevent the processor from returning to RUN mode if power has been lost and restored in run mode. It can also be used to run ladder in the power-up routine to take a specific power-up action. The routine must also specifically clear the power-up fault that is generated by having a power-up routine if a fault is not desired. On power-up, the following major fault will be generated if there is a power up routine defined and it does not clear the fault:

Type 01, Code 01, Power-up Fault, Power lost and restored in RUN mode.
If the fault is not desired, there are two options:

Remove the power up program
Handle the fault in the power up program as described in the common procedures manual

From AB KB 22379

The power up handler in a Logix controller has one of two purposes. It can prevent the processor from returning to RUN mode if power has been lost and restored in run mode. It can also be used to run ladder in the power-up routine to take a specific power-up action. The routine must also specifically clear the power-up fault that is generated by having a power-up routine if a fault is not desired. On power-up, the following major fault will be generated if there is a power up routine defined and it does not clear the fault:

Type 01, Code 01, Power-up Fault, Power lost and restored in RUN mode.
If the fault is not desired, there are two options:

Remove the power up program
Handle the fault in the power up program as described in the common procedures manual
OK Thanks. I'll look at that manual and see how to do that.
Thanks to all.

AB Sample power up routine code attached.

Note: To delete the Power-Up Handler Program, go to Controller Properties > Advanced and set the Power-Up Handler to <none>.
Example Ladder:
Download (Power_Up_Routine.zip) file and extract the Example Ladder (Power_Up_Routine.L5X)(see File Attachments below)
RSLogix 5000
Power-Up Handler
New Program... 'Power_Up_Program'
New Routine... 'Power_Up_Routine'
Import Rung... browse to the example file (Power_Up_Routine.L5X)
Perform Tests;
Cycle Power in Run Mode with code Inactive
Cycle Power in Run Mode with code Active
Observe differences

AB Sample power up routine code attached.

Note: To delete the Power-Up Handler Program, go to Controller Properties > Advanced and set the Power-Up Handler to <none>.
Example Ladder:
Download (Power_Up_Routine.zip) file and extract the Example Ladder (Power_Up_Routine.L5X)(see File Attachments below)
RSLogix 5000
Power-Up Handler
New Program... 'Power_Up_Program'
New Routine... 'Power_Up_Routine'
Import Rung... browse to the example file (Power_Up_Routine.L5X)
Perform Tests;
Cycle Power in Run Mode with code Inactive
Cycle Power in Run Mode with code Active
Observe differences
Thank you. I've found a lot of that in the common procedures manual. I'm almost ready to test it. Y'all have been a great help.