why do you like doing? what you do.

What else would I do? I am an engineer to the bone. I like the engineering challenges but I also like winning projects from my competitors. Some of it is marketing. I am in Japan now. Been to Toyota, Mazada, UBE, and others.

I could have retired long ago bit there is too much fight left in me.

I have algorithms and things waiting to be implement into our controllers that will probably never be implemented while I am still able to work or alive. Sometimes I go to work and sit in my lazy boy recliner. Yes, I have a lazy boy recliner in my office. No one gives me **** because am the boss and they still haven't caught up with implement my algorithms.

Meanwhile I play in my office thinking of new stuff to figure out.
Sometimes I go crazy and figure out why
1+2+3+4+5+.......=-1/12
I can thank Norm D for that one.
Then I moved on to the Reimann zeta function.
Ok, I know it has nothing to do with motion control or PLCs.
Maybe I should try to figure out the answer to life the universe and everything. Quantum mechanics is a good start.
Deep thought took too long and failed.

you lost me at -1/12 and then I think i caught up at the answer to life

Because regular electrical work became boring to me, so I learned PLCs and automation.

I've read this at least two times on this thread now. Only reason I am replying is that I had a completely different experience and am intrigued.

Me, I miss being an industrial electrician. The day went by so quick. If I wasn't getting atta boys and praises for using my fluke and the ladder schematic for figuring out where the problem was, I was back in the shop rebuilding a machine, or in the front office ordering parts, or in the stock room flirting w/ the cute blonde.

Now I just sit at a mother effin desk and 1 hour feels like 6

-> because I don't like doing nothing

-> this and that or being a Jack of all trades

Now without joking: I like what I'm doing because I feel good about it. I started out being a mere electrician cabling machines according to plan. But when the PLCs got in to those machines I got interested because I didn't (and still don't) like being a trained monkey doing stuff because. I simply wanted to know what I was doing. I apparantly showed enough effort to learn so they let me design and make machines. But 31 years back I broke my back and wasn't able to do the handywork any more. So when I got the chance to become a trainer I took it. At first I trained electricians to use and program PLC. And now I train sailors to do all the electrical maintenance on board ships. I've been in training for 24 years and 7 months now.

At the end of the year I will take another step and I'll switch function again. From Januari 2nd on I'll be guiding new trainers in industrial maintenance. I hope I'll be able to do that for the next 6 to 12 years and after that I'll retire (if the government lets me) and find something else to do again...

"I've been in training for 24 years and 7 months now.
" stealing

you lost me at -1/12 and then I think i caught up at the answer to life
Norm D compared me to a great Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
I did a search to find out to whom I was being compared to.
Do a search about the "Man who knew infinity"
I saw this movie while flying to China.
This Indian man had no mathematical training yet had "the knack" to figure out all sort of mathematical problems. To Ramanujan these mathematical things were obvious. This is very frustrating to those who don't find these things obvious. I know. It is frustrating for those that don't know and it is frustrating for those that know and can't understand why those that can't understand don't know. It is like living in two different realities.

I did some research on Ramanujan and his work. It opened up a new field of mathematics dominated by Euler, Riemann and Ramanujan.
https://youtu.be/jcKRGpMiVTw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

These guys are geniuses. They didn't have TV or YouTube to distract them for pursuing their interests.

If I were to teach mathematics I would like to teach from a historical perspective. Why did the greats figure out what they did? Then there are people like Ramanujan who figured out weird things that on the surface have no practical value.

BTW, I believe "The Knack" is much more important than a college education. Having "The Knack" is everything.

The first motion control program I wrote back in 1983 involved synchronizing two conveyor lines but the upstream line had to sometimes slow down then speed up to make an empty space on the down stream line. I had no control training, teacher or someone that told me how to do this yet it seemed obvious that PI control with a feed forward geared to the down stream line was the obvious solution. I was told it couldn't be done but I did it in one day.

Now it is so simple and it can be done in a few minutes.
http://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/Phasing.mp4

Norm D compared me to a great Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
I did a search to find out to whom I was being compared to.
Do a search about the "Man who knew infinity"
I saw this movie while flying to China.
This Indian man had no mathematical training yet had "the knack" to figure out all sort of mathematical problems. To Ramanujan these mathematical things were obvious. This is very frustrating to those who don't find these things obvious. I know. It is frustrating for those that don't know and it is frustrating for those that know and can't understand why those that can't understand don't know. It is like living in two different realities.

I did some research on Ramanujan and his work. It opened up a new field of mathematics dominated by Euler, Riemann and Ramanujan.
https://youtu.be/jcKRGpMiVTw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

These guys are geniuses. They didn't have TV or YouTube to distract them for pursuing their interests.

If I were to teach mathematics I would like to teach from a historical perspective. Why did the greats figure out what they did? Then there are people like Ramanujan who figured out weird things that on the surface have no practical value.

BTW, I believe "The Knack" is much more important than a college education. Having "The Knack" is everything.

The first motion control program I wrote back in 1983 involved synchronizing two conveyor lines but the upstream line had to sometimes slow down then speed up to make an empty space on the down stream line. I had no control training, teacher or someone that told me how to do this yet it seemed obvious that PI control with a feed forward geared to the down stream line was the obvious solution. I was told it couldn't be done but I did it in one day.

Now it is so simple and it can be done in a few minutes.
http://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/Phasing.mp4

I was always in the group that didn't get it, to get it, and then explain it the ones that didn't get it.

Did I exploit my gift to help ballerinas at the university w/ their math?

The joy of taking a bunch of components and taking them from not knowing each other at all to making them seamlessly work together.
Then also making things work that others thought they could not.
And of course being a "Maintenance Magician". "Man you fixed that, it must be magic."

Always implementing innovation....just to break the boredom of the same control system all the time....and to stay on top of current trends.

Like my signature says...."Control Freak"

Hi Jean can you elaborate further?
I like what I'm doing, so I would like to do it as long as I like it and am able to do it. Unfortunately I'm working for a governmental service where the policy is to fire people as soon as they have reached the official retirement age....

One of my colleagues is now 67 years old, still going strong and enjoying every day of it. There is plenty of work out there with other employers for experienced people like yourself Jean Pierre, I think you will find another place to work if you want to keep on going.

I like your signature. Going to start leaving more funny comments in my code and clues to where I hid the stapler and such

The problem is that someone will find the stapler and think it's funny, but then take and move the stapler and not update the comments.

#This is to make the value a constant 3
J = 5