Symbol Editor RS500

forqnc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
Working in RSLogix 500, everything was/is going good except a couple of timers won't accept the symbol editor name I put in. It appears for some reason to be because of the address being shown and grayed out. See attached pictures. The red scribble line is where I type my name but below that the address shows up. On addresses that work OK, the address is not shown. Tried a search of the forum but guess I not getting the right key words.
Any help is appreciated.

Symbol editor.PNG

What happens if you hi-light the DN bit for T4:3 in the data file screen and try entering the symbol thier?

When you use logix 500 software, you can address timers, counters, and others in two ways.

symbol descriptions and tag descriptions.
i use the symbol descriptions to identify the device and cad drawing page/line. a px switch on page 50 line 23 would be pxs5023.
you can use symbols any way you want.

since you say the symbol description was used somewhere already, then its in the data base somewhere already, probably the main timer symbol description.

t4:0 for example can be described in the description as station 1 part in place delay
that description would then show up on the enable, timing bit, and done bit.
with symbol descriptions, you are limited to 20 characters max versus 5 lines of 20 for the description.

i hope this helps,
james

Thanks for the responses.
It seems, when typing in symbol descriptions while building the program, the software won't tell you that name is already used, just wont display anything.
When typing descriptions via the data file, you are told it is duplicated.
An even better way, I will use from now on, is type them directly into the database. Here you can see all the descriptions.
Hope this helps some one else.

Thanks for the responses.
It seems, when typing in symbol descriptions while building the program, the software won't tell you that name is already used, just wont display anything.
When typing descriptions via the data file, you are told it is duplicated.
An even better way, I will use from now on, is type them directly into the database. Here you can see all the descriptions.
Hope this helps some one else.

Correct. The only time you get an error is if you try import them from a CSV file it will tell you if there is a duplicate.