Using a Rslogix500 bit in Rslogix5000

Keldog

Hey all... this is a bit of a long one so bear with me...
Is there a way to use a bit from Rslogix500 that is on a SLC in a Rslogix5000 program.

I am setting hour timers on the aerators where i am working and two of the aerators are controlled from a seperate building and are connected to teh electrical building via a radio modem.. and i was going to set up a timer in rslogix5000 but in order to get the timer to start i need the run bit from the rslogix500 progam is there a way i can my Rslogix5000 to read the bit from Rslogix500...
Will my rslogix5000 program be able to read that bit from the other building in order to start the timer..

Yeah it can be done. You will have to set up SLC mapping in 5000, under the logic tab. Then use a read or a write from either the SLC or the Controllogix to read or write the bit you want sent.

Writes usally are faster in general then reads. I would Set up a cip write in the RSLogix 5000, and write into a bit file in the SLC.

Use the message (MSG) instruction in the controllogix processor with a control tag of the data type MESSAGE. Click on the ellipsis in the MSG instruction. Select Mesage Type: SLC Typed Read. Type in the Source (SLC) address, the number of elements, and the destination (controllogix tag) element. Make sure your read and write elements are of the same type. On the Communication tab, browse to the SLC you want as the target and select the communication type (CIP is for controlnet I think)

If you have trouble, open up the help index and search for "specifying, SLC messages", and "MSG".

Hope this helps!

It helped alot thanks. What if all my messagereads are used up can i make a new one of use one that exists already?? I'm sorry i'm not sure how to word my question. Cause the MSG only let's me use a message instruction so if there being used for something else do i have to make a new one??? or can i use one that there and it won't affect anything else???

sorry if this is vague

I think you're talking about the control tag. Just type in a new tag name, right click it and select "New ...<your tag name>". It will default to the message type tag. DO NOT re-use a control tag that is being used by another instruction.

So i take it all this has to be done while i'm online??? Cause i'm programming it back at the office then i am going to take it down and download it into the processor.....

Rslogix5000 to Rslogix500

Still having the problem, i asked this question yesturday i am using RSlogix5000 in the electrical building and RSlogix500 in the press building and they are connected via a radio modem.

I am trying to put a hour counter on the aerator that will read ot the PLC i can do it from the press building but i was wondering if there is anyway RSLogix5000 use a run bit from RSLogix500 to control a timer. So if the bit is on in the RSLogix500 at the press building the bit at the electrical building the RSLogix5000 will be on also?? sorry about being a pain but i can't figure it out...

You need to set up the MSG instruction so that it keeps updating the controllogix tag with the contents of the SLC tag you're reading. Put XIO <MSG control tag>.EN on the rung in front of your message instruction so it will be triggered every time it's not enabled.