PLC5 messaging through Ethernet sidecar

phuz

I understand that the sidecars don't support CIP, so I don't think I can initiate a message from the CLX in this case. (I tried PLC5 Typed Read and got Error processing connection related service)

I attempted to create the message in the PLC5 and write to the ControlLogix, using multihop. My first hop is to the ENBT, second hop is the processor slot in CLX backplane, yet I am getting a D3 error for "you formatted the control block incorrectly." I've done many, many messages between CLX and PLC5, but it's either been with a 5/80E or DH+. I believe I'm missing something.
I set up a PLC5 tag map in the CLX, too.
File 24 goes to tag N24. PLC5 message reads from N24:0 and writes to N24:0.

Last edited:
First thought off the top of my head is that I believe you need to use TWO contiguous MG registers when messaging over Ethernet in a PLC5. When we converted a PLC5 to CLX a while back, I recall reading this in a technote or some other A-B document.

Also, did you "map PLC/SLC Messages" in the CLX program? This is found under the Logic toolbar in RSLogix5000 and converts Logix tags into data table registers that can be understood by the PLC.

Edit: Just saw that you did this already.

Last edited:
Not sure if I totally understand your issues but...

PLC5's don't do CIP, but they can communicate over Ethernet.

Anytime I have to establish communication between a CLX and PLC5, I use message (MSG) instructions IN THE CLX (both read and write). It's not my preferred way, because I would rather use message reads in each program so you can xref where data comes from - but one of the things I've accepted as we transition from the PLC5 world to the CLX world.

I don't think you can MSG from a PLC5 to a CLX (ie use MSG instruction within the PLC5), but others may prove me wrong.

FYI If you use a MSG read in the CLX:
1. PLC5 Typed Read with the PLC5 source, number of elements, and Destination source(CLX Tag)

2. communication tab:
--> Path: CLX_Ethernet_Card, 2, 10.44.52.81
--> Method: CIP

in my path is the name of my Ethernet card in my CLX IO tree, 2, The IP address of the PLC5 Ethernet sidecar

Last edited:
Not sure if I totally understand your issues but...

PLC5's don't do CIP, but they can communicate over Ethernet.

Anytime I have to establish communication between a CLX and PLC5, I use message (MSG) instructions IN THE CLX (both read and write). It's not my preferred way, because I would rather use message reads in each program so you can xref where data comes from - but one of the things I've accepted as we transition from the PLC5 world to the CLX world.

I don't think you can MSG from a PLC5 to a CLX (ie use MSG instruction within the PLC5), but others may prove me wrong.

MSG reads are always preferred, and like I said, I have done tons of messages from CLX to PLC5 over Ethernet, but it's always been on a 5/80E directly, not through a sidecar.

And yes, you absolutely can message from a PLC5 to a CLX through multihop.

Good info on the multihop.

I've used plenty of Ethernet PLC5's and PLC5's with sidecars. I can't say that I've ever had to treat them differently.

So you've used a regular MSG instruction (PLC5 typed read), CIP protocol, and path of Local_ENBT,2,<ip of PLC5> ?

Yep. Read and Writes from the CLX with that format

OK, so I wonder what the heck is going on with my setup. I switched to DH+ so I could message all the data blocks I wanted, which worked fine, but now I want to know why the ethernet messages aren't going.

I've had this 5/80 on my test bench for a while and have always used DH+ through my CLX gateway, but now that I got the sidecar, it's nicer...except the failing messages. :)

In my youth, I remember a wise electrician telling me that "communications are always the hardest things...people and machines alike"

??? check ethernet settings
??? try messaging a single element

probably not helping you much there

In my youth, I remember a wise electrician telling me that "communications are always the hardest things...people and machines alike"

??? check ethernet settings
??? try messaging a single element

probably not helping you much there

Yes, and yes.

Source element is N24:0
Destination is N24[0]
Length of 1, 10...doesn't matter.

The error ends up being unconnected message timeout. Maybe I'll fire up the SLC and see if I can read it from that.

It's a Series A sidecar that I have. (if that helps)

I see there used to be firmware kits for download, but Rockwell no longer has them up. Anyone have these floating around?

Think I found my answer:
For a 1785-ENET sidecar to talk over Ethernet to a ControlLogix it must be the following revisions or later:

All Series C
Series B revision A or later
Series A revision E or later.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I thought I'd follow up.
I picked up a 1785-ENET/B (Series E FW J) and ethernet messages now work. :)

Late to the party, again phuz, but here is some info on the issue you've since resolved yourself. It may also prove useful to others in the future...

pjuz said:
...I am getting a D3 error for "you formatted the control block incorrectly."...

PLC5 Message Error 00D3 or 211: You formatted the control block incorrectly
279646 -
Access Level: TechConnect

phuz said:
...Think I found my answer:
For a 1785-ENET sidecar to talk over Ethernet to a ControlLogix it must be the following revisions or later:

All Series C
Series B revision A or later
Series A revision E or later...

61405 - Revision needed to communicate over Ethernet between a PLC-5 and a ControlLogix controller
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George