Problem connecting from PC to ControlLogix PLC

SirTrollsalot

Hello all,

I am having a hard time connecting to my ControlLogix PLC.

I recently visited a plant and needed to set my wired network connection (IPv4) to "Obtain an IP address automatically."

Now that I have returned to my office, I need to connect to this ControlLogix PLC. I set my IP address to a static address that exactly matches my PLC. If you look at my attachment, you will see that my 'test_bench' driver no longer recognizes a controller, but now recognizes a computer.

I am out of ideas, and I followed my regular procedure in order to connect to the controller.

Any help will be appreciated. I am new to this stuff so anything helps.

print screen1.jpg

Set your computer so that the first three groups match but the last one must be different than the target PLC, and different than anything else on the network if connected to more than one device.

Set your 'netmask' to 255.255.255.0

This will satisfy many situations.

If the computer's IP is the same as the one you just set then the computer IS your computer.

Open 'Communications' then 'Configure Drivers' - take a screen shot of that

The click on this last driver and click on 'Configure' - take a screen shot of that.

Post both

Last edited:
I believe you have configured an "Ethernet Devices" driver in RSLinx, and specified your PC as the address you want to talk to....

correct me if i'm wrong...

show us a picture of what you can see if you expand (click the + sign to the left) the Ethernet/IP driver called ABETHIP-1, Ethernet

well i finally got it to work. its hard to describe what i did in order to make this thing work. i can now talk to my controller and run a program with rslogix 5000.
i found that i had a 'LAN connection' and a 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' in my network connections. I disabled the VirtualBox. I typed in a static IP address for the LAN connection that would go along with the PLC (10.59.8.xxx). When I looked at RSLinx i saw that my PLC appeared.
I was trying to use this virtualbox connection the whole time. i think that might've been there because of some kind of training i did? anyways, thanks for the help. it's now running.

well i finally got it to work. its hard to describe what i did in order to make this thing work. i can now talk to my controller and run a program with rslogix 5000.
i found that i had a 'LAN connection' and a 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' in my network connections. I disabled the VirtualBox. I typed in a static IP address for the LAN connection that would go along with the PLC (10.59.8.xxx). When I looked at RSLinx i saw that my PLC appeared.
I was trying to use this virtualbox connection the whole time. i think that might've been there because of some kind of training i did? anyways, thanks for the help. it's now running.

thanks for the feedback....