Connecting to AB 1769-L32E

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

I have a 1769-L32E Compact logix processor that I need to connect to. It's sitting on my desk with a power supply attached to it and powered up. I have a desktop with RSLogix 5000 and RSLinx set up on it. I do not have a way to connect to the Processor VIA RS232 9 pin. All I have is an Ethernet patch cord plugged into the Ethernet card on the desktop and processor Ethernet port.

What are the steps I need to take in order to set up a driver in RSLinx to communicated to this processor as I have to load a program onto it as well as download Firmware Rev 17.2 onto it. The desktop has a static IP as its used for an HMI station on the PLC network that I'll be putting this new processor on.

I want to be able to load the program onto this processor and swap it out with an existing one that is already connected to the PLC network and is running.

thanks in advance,

Tex

When you use Flash you can use Bootp and assign the address to the PLC then flash it

Or you can just get a crossover cable or null modem cable for the RS232

Here is a video I did awhile back that may help...

Allen Bradley 1769-L32e setting up Ethernet and flashing CPU http://youtu.be/FkO2BBuuwJw

Make sure you dont have both CPU's on the network with the same address

So In order to connect via Ethernet IP driver I first need assign a static IP address to the L32E's Ethernet port with a DF1/RS-232 driver in RSLinx? My issue is I have no way of connecting to the processor via DF1/RS-232 as I have no cables to make that happen.

No, you can open ControlFlash... try to update a L32e with your address you want to flash, after a min it will error out and you can enter in the mac ID, by doing this it will use Bootp and will assign a IP address to the PLC, then you can flash it with using Ethernet IP

You do not need a serial cable but surprised if you dont have one laying around?

there isn't a 9-pin port on this desktop nor control flash, so it seems I'm out of luck at this moment. Is control flash free to download, and is it downloaded from Rockwell?