Citect to Modicon via Modbus

Hi there,

Firstly I no nothing about Quantum PLCs and very little about Citect.

I have an old Win NT Citect SCADA system failure which I need to replace quickly.

I have the backup and have managed to restore it to Citect 7.2 which I'm told will run on Win 7 PC.

The communications board type in Citect is BOARDX and the IODevice is Modbus.

Without physically seeing this machine (its abroad) I'm guessing its using a standard onboard serial port for communications and not a dedicated comms card.

So what are my options giving I'm inexperienced with both Citect and Quantum PLCs?

Here are my thoughts...
1. Buy a PC with a serial port. Probably hard to find nowadays
2. Buy a PC and a USB to serial adapter
3. Install some sort of Ethernet module on the quantum PLC. - Driver and probably tags have to be reconfigured in CItect.
4. Install some sort of gateway -Serial to Modbus TCP/IP .

Hi there,

Firstly I no nothing about Quantum PLCs and very little about Citect.

I have an old Win NT Citect SCADA system failure which I need to replace quickly.

I have the backup and have managed to restore it to Citect 7.2 which I'm told will run on Win 7 PC.

The communications board type in Citect is BOARDX and the IODevice is Modbus.

Without physically seeing this machine (its abroad) I'm guessing its using a standard onboard serial port for communications and not a dedicated comms card.

So what are my options giving I'm inexperienced with both Citect and Quantum PLCs?

Here are my thoughts...
1. Buy a PC with a serial port. Probably hard to find nowadays
2. Buy a PC and a USB to serial adapter
3. Install some sort of Ethernet module on the quantum PLC. - Driver and probably tags have to be reconfigured in CItect.
4. Install some sort of gateway -Serial to Modbus TCP/IP .

Is it RS485 or RS232 ?

Either way Modbus Gateway is probably the easiest option, just use the Schneider EGX150, works well, then just change the comms in the Citect project to be Modnet, there is a specific version of Modnet for Quantums.

Is it RS485 or RS232 ?

Either way Modbus Gateway is probably the easiest option, just use the Schneider EGX150, works well, then just change the comms in the Citect project to be Modnet, there is a specific version of Modnet for Quantums.

I'm not sure. I cant find this information in the Citect project. It just says Modbus. I havent been to site.

If I use the EGX150 I just need to change the driver in Citect? Nothing on the PLC side? I don't even have software for Quantum PLCs?

Any thoughts on the USB-Serial convertor option?

I'm not sure. I cant find this information in the Citect project. It just says Modbus. I havent been to site.

If I use the EGX150 I just need to change the driver in Citect? Nothing on the PLC side? I don't even have software for Quantum PLCs?

Any thoughts on the USB-Serial convertor option?

Shouldn't need to change anything in the PLC end, if Citect has access to the registers now then a gateway will

If you don't know what serial comms its on which adopter are you going to buy ? If you have the Quantum project then you should be able to see what comms cards it has fitted or do you not have that either ? Possibly get a photograph of the quantum rack to see whats fitted ?

The EGX can be RS232 or RS485, should be a fairly simple job if you go that way.

I have a photo of the Quantum rack but without ever using this brand of PLC I don't know what I'm looking at.

What software is used (around late 90s) to open such a program?

I have a photo of the Quantum rack but without ever using this brand of PLC I don't know what I'm looking at.

What software is used (around late 90s) to open such a program?

Post a photo of it, i will be able to give you the best guess. Software could be Concept.

But like i say, the Quantum shouldn't need to be modified

That would be great. Seems to be a problem with uploading pictures though. When I add the attachment I get the following error:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

That would be great. Seems to be a problem with uploading pictures though. When I add the attachment I get the following error:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

Just make the message longer ? Or private message it to me.