RS LOGIX 5000 emulate

Skiroy

Do you still have to purchase RS LINX and RS Logix 5000 in addition to emulate or does emulate 5000 have all the program platform included?

I'm afraid not...

RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer do not come with a purchase of RSLogix Emulate 5000.

It's actually the other way around...

RSLogix Emulate 5000 is more of an add-on or complimentary software product to RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer. It comes included when you purchase RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 Professional Edition, or is available separately with other Editions. You must have purchased RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 already to use RSLogix Emulate 5000.

If you do not have the Professional Edition then you will not automatically have RSLogix Emulate 5000. Also, the Lite and Mini Editions of RSLogix 5000 /Logix Designer do not support RSLogix Emulate 5000.

Additionally, which Operating System you install it on can dictate which previous project versions you can work with.

As I'm sure you are aware, it emulates the processor and chassis for testing and debugging. It is an additional tool to the programming software, but not a free tool.

RSLinx Classic Lite comes included with just about every major software product that Rockwell sells. If it doesn't, you can download it individually for free.

Regards,
George

No. Just like a physical controller, the versions much match. Now versions of Emulate will support a few firmware revs BEHIND the current version. But a ver. 17 Emulate won't support version 20. I have version 24 of Emulate which can create a controller back to version 20. I'm not sure how far back version 20 of Emulate goes.

I are there any issues with compatibility for Windows XP SP2 as I have read SP3 is used but I cant find it?

How does SoftLogix 5800 v20 differ from emulate?

There's the compatibility section on the Rockwell Site that will tell you all the compatibility issues of all their software.

SoftLogix is a software based PLC. Unlike Emulate, SoftLogix can control real I/O. The two are incompatible with each other. That is, they can't both be installed on the same computer.

jkerekes said:
...I'm not sure how far back version 20 of Emulate goes.

John,

Remember I mentioned...

"...Additionally, which Operating System you install it on can dictate which previous project versions you can work with..."

If installed on Windows XP then v20 of RSLogix Emulate 5000 can support v12 - v20 inclusive.

If installed on Windows 7 32-bit it will just support v17 - v20 inclusive.

If installed on Windows 7 64-bit it will only support v20.

Such fun!

Regards,
George

There's the compatibility section on the Rockwell Site that will tell you all the compatibility issues of all their software.

SoftLogix is a software based PLC. Unlike Emulate, SoftLogix can control real I/O. The two are incompatible with each other. That is, they can't both be installed on the same computer.

But softlogix 5800 will enable me to run RS LOGIX 5000 ?

But softlogix 5800 will enable me to run RS LOGIX 5000 ?

Yes. It's a full blown PLC running on a PC. It's designed to control things just like a hardware PLC. The firmware revisions still need to match. I think the cost of SoftLogix is higher though and takes a significant toll on your PC resources, as I remember.

So whats the difference between RS Linx Lite and classic? Can I still use lite for SoftLogix,RSLOGIX 5000,Factory Talk View and RS NETWORX?

Do you have to have a serial or activation for the free version of RS LINX?

Last edited:
There is nothing actually named "RSLinx Lite".

RSLinx was renamed several years ago so that it is now called "RSLinx Classic". There are different versions of RSLinx Classic. Lite, Single Node, Professional, Gateway are all different versions of RSLinx Classic.

Lite is the free/bundled version and all that most people actually need. The other versions add varying levels of OPC capabilities. If you don't need OPC then RSLinx Classic Lite is all you require. SoftLogix and Emulate do not require OPC.

OG

There is nothing actually named "RSLinx Lite".

RSLinx was renamed several years ago so that it is now called "RSLinx Classic". There are different versions of RSLinx Classic. Lite, Single Node, Professional, Gateway are all different versions of RSLinx Classic.

Lite is the free/bundled version and all that most people actually need. The other versions add varying levels of OPC capabilities. If you don't need OPC then RSLinx Classic Lite is all you require. SoftLogix and Emulate do not require OPC.

OG

Is there compatibility issues with using a newer version of RS Linx lite with older emulate and RS Logix 5000 versions?

Skiroy said:
Is there compatibility issues with using a newer version of RS Linx lite with older emulate and RS Logix 5000 versions?

Yes, there may be, but we won't dwell on that. Let's focus more on what you do need...

You seem a little fixated on "RS Linx lite" and what will or will not work with it.

Firstly, and as similarly mentioned, it is called RSLinx Classic Lite. Also, as mentioned, it is available to download for free. So no matter which version of RSLinx Classic Lite you would need to use with which ever version of RSLogix 5000 you are using, you can download any version of RSLinx Classic Lite to suit your needs. So RSLinx Classic Lite should not be your real concern here.

Also, as mentioned, you need to lock step the versions of RSLogix Emulate 5000 and RSLogix 5000 that you want to use together. Lock step just means to match them at compatible versions. This does not always mean they are at the same exact version.

For instance, if you look at the info I posted last, RSLogix Emulate v20 will work, under Windows XP, with all versions of RSLogix 5000 from v12 - v20 inclusive.

However...

Skiroy said:
Will Emulate v17 work with RSLogix 5000 v20?

...when a version of RSLogix Emulate 5000 is older than a version of RSLogix 5000, then this is not lock stepped and will not work. RSLogix Emulate 5000 v17 cannot emulate a firmware revision 20 controller. It is newer.

From the above you have mentioned RSLogix 5000 v20....

To Emulate with an RSLogix 5000 v20 project, the emulated controller must be at firmware revision 20. To do this you will require RSLogix Emulate 5000 v20 minimum.

So, the RSLogix Emulate 5000 v17 you have mentioned...

RSLogix Emulate 5000 v17 is not lock stepped with RSLogix 5000 v20 and so you cannot use them together. You will need to upgrade to RSLogix Emulate 5000 v20. So with that established, if you own the copy of RSLogix Emulate 5000 v17, and you have a TechConnect Support Contract, then you should be able to download RSLogix Emulate 5000 v20 from their Software Downloads webpage.

When you download RSLogix Emulate 5000, RSLinx Classic Lite is also added automatically to the download list. However, you must download the correct version of RSLinx Classic Lite that is lock stepped with RSLogix 5000 v20. This is v2.57 minimum, but I would recommend downloading v2.59. This is the highest version of RSLinx Classic Lite supported for use with RSLogix 5000 v20.

If you do not have a support contract, then you cannot download RSLogix Emulate 5000. You would have to purchase RSLogix Emulate v20 as an upgrade.

I hope that is clear enough.

Regards,
George