RTD for CompactLogix

An RTD input card like 1734-IR2(E) or there is a specialty analog card that accepts everything basically 1734SC-IF4U. If you PLC uses the 1734 modules, or 1769-IR6 if it uses 1769 Modules or there are 5069 modules as well, 5069-IY4 is a universal

If you have a standard 2/3 or 4 Wire RTD then no you would needs a signal conditioner of some type. Now if you are talking an RTD connected to a transmitter that has current output then yeah.

The 1769-if8sc. Is a universal card from spectrum controls. I have used them lots with rtd thermocouple and current

I've never done an RTD before.

What kind of input would I need to read this RTD sensor coming back?

Thank you

If you have a number of these, it would make sense to use a dedicated RTD input module, as other replies have suggested.
If, on the other hand, this is the ONLY and singular use of an RTD in your system, and, if you already have other analog inputs, it might make sense to use a spare analog input (0-10VDC, 4-20mADC), and simply attach the RTD to a signal conditioner for this purpose. (Action PAK, et al)
Be aware, however, that the RTD module supplies you with calibration capabilities, as well as diagnostic capabilities that may not be equally functional when using a signal conditioner.
Note, as well, that there are different types of RTDs. The most common one is typically called out as "100ohmPt" {100 ohm (nominal), platinum}. You will also need to consider whether you are using a 3-wire or a 4-wire RTD. Here again, the 3-wire is the most common, but there are still 4-wire devices out there.

Last edited: