PID Programming/Configuration

I made my own Hotrod like system 7+years ago following that example to have a PID test rig, but l must confess l haven't looked at that example since, so l apologise in the sense that you/Ron have supplied a PID example, based on common equipment, but l thought it was all Ron's doing, so there you go.
Also just to make you feel older, it was 15.5 years ago you put it in the downloads
Yes, I am now 66. If you haven't noticed, I have slowed down on my posts. I think Ron has slowed down too.

Anybody that is young and smart should absorb my videos then start a company that tunes control loops over the internet. I think a few people that really knew what they are doing could tune all the control loops in the US and Canada and do it better and faster than the average person. This has got to be worth a lot of money.

The same should happen in Europe and in China, Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand.

The only thing I have covered yet in my videos is MPC or model predictive control. MPC requires a lot of processing power relative to a Smith Predictor or PID but processing power is cheap.

Someone with rise to the challenge. The rest will be like everybody else.

Ok you have got my interest in PID re-ignited enough that l will get my head around the algebra/calculus albeit slowly as l am an electrician and haven't done advance maths (but l'm interested), so have started to go back to your post's from 15 years ago, have just download Scilab to have a go at some of your examples.
The other thread, was a test example but l can't find that on your site,
" A challenge to tune a type 0, 4 pole system", the files have been removed. could you replaced them somewhere, pretty please.
When l built my test unit l didn't spend the time to go back to the start of everything so just glossed over the stuff (nearly all of it) that was beyond me, but l have some spare time at work so will put it to good use.
I will also do the dreaded ZN and see the difference

Last edited:
" A challenge to tune a type 0, 4 pole system", the files have been removed.
No, it has been moved. At that time Go Daddy was hosting our website. Now Blue Host is.
The new location is
https://deltamotion.com/peter/xls/
You want to T0P4.zip file.
I was only expecting people to use trial and error. The real challenge would be to calculate the gains.

When l built my test unit l didn't spend the time to go back to the start of everything so just glossed over the stuff (nearly all of it) that was beyond me, but l have some spare time at work so will put it to good use.
I will also do the dreaded ZN and see the difference

ZN makes no effort to understand the plant.
There is a Lord Kelvin quote that I really like
"“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science.”"

ZN does not work well for type 1 ( integrating ) plants. However, the T0P4 is a type 0 4 real pole simulation so it may work poorly. I can tell you now that the T0P4 was not meant to be easy. A PID cannot tune the system properly. This was done on purpose to make the simulation very difficult.