Can't go on-line with RSLogix5000

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I’m having a devil of a time with getting my RSLogix5000 to communicate over Ethernet recently. Here is what I’m seeing.

RSLinx Classic Professional – 3.60.00 CPR 9 SR 6 seems to be working OK.

RSLinx Screen.jpg

As you can see, I can see and recognize the 1768-ENBT and then drill-down to the Logix processor just fine.

In RSLogix5000 V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5) – Not so.

RSLogix5000 Screen.jpg

I’ve been having this problem for a several weeks now and have tried everything I can think of – none of which have worked.

Manually verified both IP address and Subnet of my Laptop’s LAN card.
Manually verified the Subnet of the machine(s)
Uninstalled RSLogix5000 and reinstalled it.
Uninstalled RSLinx Classic Professional and reinstalled it.
Disabled my Wireless card to prevent potential interference.
Uploaded EDS files from devices.

As an interesting note, not only does RSLinx Classic seem to see everything just fine, so does RSLinx Enterprise. While having this problem, I have and downloaded PV programs to the HMI’s several times. No problems there. Everything seems to point to some problem within RSLogix5000.

Finally, I have no problem getting on-line with our Maintenance laptop using exactly the same settings.

I know there are lots of threads out there about establishing communications like this, but I can’t find any where someone has been able to resolve a problem where RSLinx works but RSLogix5000 does not. If anybody has anything, I sure would appreciate it.

Seems that you have already tried all the possibilities i would have tried, but as you mentioned it quote "Finally, I have no problem getting on-line with our Maintenance laptop using exactly the same settings" This would seem to me their is an issue with the PC itself that you can't go online with L5K because you don't have the issue with the laptop. Have you tried scanning for viruses?? I know that's unlikely, but at this point i don't see it hurting

Hi Steve

I see you are using the ip driver . Did you try the ethernet driver where you enter the ip address. Both me a programmer I work with had some trouble after we upgraded logix and this was how we got around it.

No harm to try it anyway

Donnchadh

Try steps below, long shot, but may help:

• Go to Start->Programs->Rockwell Software->RSlinx->RSlinx Classic
  • Right click on the executable and go to Properties.
  • Click on the Compatibility Tab (as shown below) and make sure the Run this program in compatibilty mode for: is unchecked.
  • Do the same with Rslogix5000

dbh6 - no harm in trying, you're right. I'll do a virus scan and see what comes of that. We have corporate antivirus program, so I'd hope there isn't one, but who knows. The one reason I don't think its the PC itself is that I can successfully transfer files to the HMI across the same network. If it was the PC, I wouldn't think I could do that.

pal - Logix and Linx are the same versions. I installed on both machines at the same time.

Donnchadh - Yes, I tried the Ethernet driver, too - same results.

Steve,

It could possibly be Contr_Con's fix is all you need but, just in case, here is something else to consider and useful info for all...

You are on the network and able to see the devices, so this is not a network issue. In "Who Active" in RSLogix5000, because they all show as "Unrecognized Device", but are recognized in RSLinx, this appears to be an EDS issue within RSLogix5000.

In my opinion, this is something that Rockwell didn't make clear enough to software users, although, I'm sure it's probably mentioned in the not too often read release notes.

Up to recently, the global EDS subsystem for all RS software has been exclusively using a Registration system. Once an EDS file is registered, an entry is placed in Windows Registry. This entry is then available to all RS software that uses registered EDS files.

RSLogix5000 has technically ceased to exist and, as I'm sure you're aware, is now known as Studio5000. When Studio5000 was released at v21.00.03, there was a new EDS Database system introduced to try to make the whole EDS system easier to use and more widely available to other software. This Database system is replacing the Registration/Registry system.

The newer Database system is not backward compatible, so this creates a cut-off point. When this upgrade takes place, the registered EDS entries in Windows Registry are imported to the new Database, and then the Registry entries are deleted. All other software packages still at the Registration/Registry level can now no longer access the EDS files they require, and must be installed at the minimum compatible Database level to allow them access to the new EDS Database.

This is not just relevant to Studio5000 v21.00.03 being installed. Several other RS software packages were released at a particular revision level to be compatible with the newer EDS Database system. If any of the software packages at the compatible Database level, or above, are installed, they will upgrade the EDS subsystem for the entire PC to the newer Database system.

Cut-off point for EDS Database support:

RSLinx v3.51.00 or above - You are at v3.60
Studio5000 v21.00 or above - You are at v20.01.00
RSLinx Enterprise v5.51.00 or above
RSNetworx v21.00 or above
FactoryTalk Services Platform v2.51.00 or above
DeviceNet Tag Generator v21.00 or above

So...

Several weeks ago, before this started happening, had you just upgraded RSLinx to v3.60.00, or any other RS software such as FTSP or RSNetworx to a Database compatible revision level as per above?

I believe at some point you upgraded your EDS to the Database system unknown to yourself, but did not upgrade Studio5000 to be compatible yet.

You need to install Studio5000 v21.00.03 (latest) before "Who Active" can access the same EDS Database as RSLinx Classic v3.60.00.

However, if I'm right, what's puzzling me is if both laptops have RSLinx v3.60.00 and RSLogix v20.01.00, then how is it not affecting the maintenance laptop? :unsure:

I'm not sure what other RS software you have installed, and at what revision, so this may have to do with a particular RS software configuration that is unique to your laptop? :confused:

G.

Contr_Con - It looks like you nailed it. I found that RSLinx was checked for compatibility mode while RSLogix5000 was not. After unchecking RSLinx, I was able to go online with no issues.

Geospark - I appreciate the detailed post. That's a lot of good info. I was not aware of all the changes with Studio5000, so that's definitely a good read. Thanks.

Geospark - I appreciate the detailed post. That's a lot of good info. I was not aware of all the changes with Studio5000, so that's definitely a good read. Thanks
+1
Paul

Hi geospark

Some post.

That is great to know as I was unaware of that change.
I am upgrading networks and linx next week so it may help me out

Donnchadh

Great thread, albiet slightly old. I just ran into this problem today after upgrading RSView Studio and Lynx Enterprise. Somehow during that upgrade RS Logix5000 was changed to compatibility mode for XP. I unchecked it and everything is good.

God, you guys are good......

Had the same problem, seeing a 1756-ENBT in RSLinx but not in RSLogix5000, but did a search here, and lo and behold, take off the "compatibility" on RSLogix5000 and it worked....!!

I had been trying to get RSlogix5000 Emulate to work over the past few days and wondered if that was the issue...(Emulate runs up and I can see the Virtual Backplane in RSLinx but not in RSLogix5000) - the same fix has sorted that one too......

This is an old thread, but I would like to confirm that the solution of unchecking the "compatibility mode" still works (see image "compatibility.png").(y)

My problem was similar to the above where RSLinx displayed the devices correctly (see attached "rslinx.png"), but Controllogix 5000 Who Active would not (see attached "logix5000.png").

compatibility.png rslinx.jpg logix5000.png

The one thing I noticed on your photos is that your not “browsing”. You need to be sure to check the Autobrowse box and then click on the Ethernet network. You should see the “Browsing” active.