Change IP on 1788-ENBT flexlogix L34

Blayss

Hi guys i have a flexlogix 5434 with 1788-enbt. On the processor is a sticker with IP 10.24.230.239 but i have no idea if that's correct.

I would like to change the IP on the card but the problem is i can't detect the card neither with bootp/dhcp nor on rslinx classic. Everything is running on WMware windows 7.

I tried using normal and crossover cable, changing the ip of the pc to 10.24.230.230 sub 255.255.255.0 running bootp/dhcp under XP

Appreciate any help

Last edited:
I doubt you'd be able to use RSLinx to edit the 1788-ENBT IP Address; said address is defined and hard-coded within the RSL5K application running on the controller.

Your best bet would be to connect to the CPU via the controller's Serial RS232 port using a DF-1 driver and upload the application presuming, of course, you are running RSL5K of the same version as the CPU firmware level.

Are you sure that the IP address for a FlexLogix is defined in the RSLogix 5000 program ?

I've never seen a ControlLogix-family device that did not store the IP the TCP/IP Object, which in these controllers is physically handled by flash memory on the 1788-ENBT daughtercard. I'm 99% sure that I could take daughtercards between FlexLogix controllers and they would retain their IP addresses.

You should be able to "browse" through the serial port to the ENBT, and read the IP address from it.

Or, connect with Wireshark directly to the controller and cycle power, and look for an ARP packet from the 1788-ENBT that indicates what its IP address is.

Ken, he's probably on the wrong subnet. 1788s were a PITA and I had always set addresses when serially connected to the CPU. The addresses are part of the application.

FXLX.png

All Ethernet modules have that field in the General tab; it doesn't really do anything except allow RSLogix 5000 to exclude that IP address from the available ones for devices in the I/O tree.

In modern (I'm looking at v20) revisions of RSLogix 5000, there's also a tab labeled Internet Protocol for the ENBT module. That has a "Set" button that allows you to actually change the IP address settings for that module.

The FlexLogix is a decade or more out of date, so there could be something squirrely that I'm missing.

I definitely agree that drilling down from the DF1 serial port is the easiest way to configure, or learn the configuration of, the 1788-ENBT daughtercard.

Actually Ken, the Network Configuration tab of tbe Module Definition tab will set the IP Address of the 1788 and will retain the 'greyed-out' values of the settings wnen Offline; I had always made a point of documenting the Flex ENBTs within the applications even if not required but for IO comms.

He will need to DF1 connect and, hopefully, the EDS database will contain the 1788 file; not sure if he could use Linx to change the IP Address though. Online RSL5K had never failed at this task.