VFD Powerflex 525 cleaning

7threalm

can anyone recommond some products non-condutive spray or a esd vacume that they have experience with and good results.

I guess that would depend on how dirty it is. We usually just power it it down and hit it with compressed air. Be sure to dial back the psi on your air supply. 125 psi will dislodge things that were not meant to be removable. Please don't ask how I know that....

If you are thinking of doing it while the power is still on, all I can suggest is, don't.

Will.

I've used compressed air. But first I completely removed the drive from the panel. This was for an older drive that stopped working. I never got it to run again but the compressed air cleaned it out fine. I don't remember the psi but you might want to start with a low psi as willxfmr said.

my 2 cents

turn off the power to the vfd.
wait 15-20 minutes to allow the capacitors to discharge.
use canned air designed for electrical components.

we use Sprayway - clean jet 100 - 10 oz can
its non flammable
the can has a part number of SW-805

you WILL need the following.
safety glasses with side shield.
face shield
proper ppe clothing.
proper hand gloves.

the ppe is in case the caps are still charged and some trash is dislodged and shorts out the caps.

you will also need this for when you re-energize the vfd, definitely then.
remember, safety first.

james

my 2 cents

turn off the power to the vfd.
wait 15-20 minutes to allow the capacitors to discharge.
use canned air designed for electrical components.

we use Sprayway - clean jet 100 - 10 oz can
its non flammable
the can has a part number of SW-805

you WILL need the following.
safety glasses with side shield.
face shield
proper ppe clothing.
proper hand gloves.

the ppe is in case the caps are still charged and some trash is dislodged and shorts out the caps.

you will also need this for when you re-energize the vfd, definitely then.
remember, safety first.

james
This is my recommendation as well, albeit more thorough than I would have posted. Compressed air is potentially fatal, it can have moisture and oil in it that can leave deposits that lead to further damage. The “canned air” meant FOR electronics is the only thing I would use because it is dry and contaminant free. Don’t use just any, because the Powerflex drives all have conformally coated boards and some spray propellants dissolve that coating. The electronic qualified varieties use CO2.

Because of that conformal coating, I don’t get too excited about a little dust inside, it isn’t going to do harm until it builds up to the point of interfering with thermal transfer. Just blow it out as best you can and don’t get obsessive about it being squeaky clean.

How?
Why?
:p

Experience is knowing now what you wish you had known 10 seconds ago. I have a LOT of experience. :cry:

I should remember that not everyone work in a food plant with very clean and dry air. If you have any doubts at all about the quality of your air supply, go with the canned stuff.

Bubba.

Thanks guys I learned a lot from this thread. I guess I'm lucky that the compressed air (probably "dirty" or questionable at the very least) did not damage anything I've been using it on. I'll have to look into those blowers that someone mentioned.

if you use plant air, it must go through a 2 micron filter to remove all plant compressor oils.
if you don't, the oil in the plant air could very well destroy the components.
newer type air compressors use a synthetic oil that will eat electronic components in 6-12 months, some within a month. learned that the hard way.

james