Upload project rslogix5000

turbohamad

Hello Experts;
Good morning. I have three machines which were almost have same logic instead of some tag values. I want to know what controller look when i go online with rslogix 5000. Actually the issue is i have one file with rung comments and descriptions suppose the file name xxxxx.acd When i connect and go online with machine number 2 and select upload, then a pop up show that demands select a file i select that file which have description and tag comments that is xxxx.acd but popup still showing select the file.

is it necessary to type a diffrent name in selection file dialog? what controller looks in the file? why controller not upload the data in the file which have comments(Machine number 1 file).

Regards

Hello experts;
I want to know when we go online what parameters controller match with the offline .acd file, if i change the controller name and type at offline .acd file is it able to upload the project?

Regards

Sir actually i lost the file of particular machine with comments and description that's why i asked this. i have only one file with comments.

Comments & tagnames are stored in the controller.

Don't open the offline file. Just connect to the controller and upload, then save as a new file.

Don't open the offline file. Just connect to the controller and upload, then save as a new file.

I am just trying to remember, but I guess this became valid with some of the versions of the Studio5000, not RSLogix5000.

I am just trying to remember, but I guess this became valid with some of the versions of the Studio5000, not RSLogix5000.

I'm sure it has been around for a while. I've never worked on anything older than 17.x though so maybe older stuff didn't have this feature? Surely tagnames would be though?

Regardless, I'd download the existing copy without comments if that's the case. Then I'd expect you could export them from the commented copy and import into the downloaded copy.

I'm sure it has been around for a while. I've never worked on anything older than 17.x though so maybe older stuff didn't have this feature? Surely tagnames would be though?

Regardless, I'd download the existing copy without comments if that's the case. Then I'd expect you could export them from the commented copy and import into the downloaded copy.

Comments are optionally stored in the controller, not by default....

Yes tagnames are, but they're not comments....

A descriptive comment, or two...

Saffa said:

daba said:
Comments are optionally stored in the controller, not by default....

Yes tagnames are, but they're not comments....

Yes, tagnames are traditionally stored in the controller but for comments it depends on the controller type, firmware revision and hence the software used. Where comments are optionally stored during a download, it is the default selection in a newly created project.

Saffa said:
I'm sure it has been around for a while. I've never worked on anything older than 17.x though so maybe older stuff didn't have this feature? Surely tagnames would be though?...

Let's quantify a "while"...

RSLogix 5000, which exists up to version 20, stores only the following ACD project file information into the controller at download...

Tag names
Alias names
Task, Program & Routine names
Structured Text (ST) descriptions

i.e. No comments or tag descriptions in controller.

RSLogix 5000, up to version 20, stores the above plus the following information in the ACD project file only...

Tag Descriptions
Controller Description
Module Descriptions
UDT Member Descriptions
Rung Comments
FBD Text Boxes
SFC Text Boxes
Add-On Instruction Help

i.e. Comments and tag descriptions only in offline project file.

Studio 5000 Logix Designer, introduced at version 21, and which superseded RSLogix 5000, will additionally store all comments, descriptions, extended tag properties, etc. Once the default enabled setting "Download Project Documentation and Extended Properties" is left enabled at download, all of the above is always stored to the controller's memory.

Saffa,

Only if the projects in question are Logix Designer v21 or above is your statement true. They appear to be referring to "rslogix5000", but too often we still see Logix Designer being referenced as "RSLogix 5000", so we do need to clarify this...

turbohamad said:
Upload project rslogix5000

I have three machines which were almost have same logic instead of some tag values. I want to know what controller look when i go online with rslogix 5000. Actually the issue is i have one file with rung comments and descriptions suppose the file name xxxxx.acd When i connect and go online with machine number 2 and select upload, then a pop up show that demands select a file i select that file which have description and tag comments that is xxxx.acd but popup still showing select the file...

turbohamad,

To further clarify what I am saying above, and which you may already realize - "rung comments and descriptions", or "tag comments" are not stored in the controller, if there are version 20 or older RSLogix 5000 projects loaded into these controllers. Judging by the description of your predicament, I would guess that they are version 20 or older projects, but to be sure, can you please provide the name and version of the software you are using?...

RSLogix 5000

OR

Studio 5000 Logix Designer

Also,

What is the catalog number for each or all of these controllers?

What is the firmware revision in each or all of these controllers?

Saffa,

Another observation...

Saffa said:
...Regardless, I'd download the existing copy without comments if that's the case. Then I'd expect you could export them from the commented copy and import into the downloaded copy.

I think you mean "upload" and "uploaded"?

Upload = Controller > Workstation
Download = Controller < Workstation

Let's read it the way that I expect you meant it...

Saffa said:
...Regardless, I'd upload the existing copy without comments if that's the case. Then I'd expect you could export them from the commented copy and import into the uploaded copy.

Depending on the OP's answers to the above questions, your option (if I'm reading you right) is what I would best recommend for RSLogix 5000 projects. It is also in keeping with tarik1978's initial and sound advice -

tarik1978 said:
You should have a different project name for each machine

For RSLogix 5000 -

1. Upload to a new project file for each of the other two controllers
2. Name each of the project files according to the machine title/number
3. Export the "Tags and Logic Comments" from the existing project file
4. Import the "Tags and Logic Comments" into the two new project files

Import/Export using a CSV file is a semi-automatic process within RSLogix 5000 under the "Tools" menu.

...argh, hit 1000 characters...more to come...

Last edited:
Part 2...

To answer your initial query...

tarik1978 said:
...is it necessary to type a diffrent name in selection file dialog? what controller looks in the file? why controller not upload the data in the file which have comments(Machine number 1 file)

RSLogix 5000 software provides two identification stamps, the Creation Stamp and the Download Stamp, which provide information that enables the software to attempt to correlate with a controller. When an .ACD project file is downloaded to the controller it is stamped with the Creation Stamp and the Download Stamp in both the controller and the offline project file. The Creation Stamp represents the time stamp when the project file was created. The Download Stamp represents the timestamp when the project file was last downloaded to the controller. In RSLogix 5000 these can be viewed under the Controller Properties > File tab - "Created" & "Edited" fields.

Further to the identity stamps, a Change Log is also maintained in the controller. Each change that occurs in a running controller is stored in the Change Log in the controller's memory. This Change Log is also referenced during the Go Online and or correlation process.

When RSLogix 5000 attempts to Go Online from within an open offline project file, it will first compare the Create and Download Stamps in the offline file with the Stamps stored in the controller. If they both match then it has passed the first check. It then examines the Change Log. If there are no changes in the Change Log, then RSLogix 5000 will immediately Go Online.

If there are differences in the Stamps, then you may download the offline copy of the project file into the controller or you may upload from the controller to a new file. Here, the uploaded project file will not have any comments, etc. The intended offline project file comments may be exported and then imported to the new project file to merge the comments.

If the Stamps match but there are changes in the Change Log, then RSLogix 5000 will compare the records in the Change Log with the information in the offline project file to determine if the log file has been "overrun". A Change Log overrun can happen if more than 1000 controller edits have been made. If the Change Log has not been overrun, RSLogix 5000 will then use the Change Log to correlate the offline project file with the controller by incrementally uploading the changes i.e. the offline log information is updated to match the controller's log.

If the log has been overrun, a correlation error occurs and an upload is required. This is an upload to file that is required - documentation in the offline project file will not be lost as the Create Stamps in the controller and offline project file have matched.

Example: User A is online to the controller with their copy of the project and makes an online edit and saves. This change is now stored in the controller's Change Log and in the Change Log in the offline project file. The Download Stamp is also updated in both the online and offline copies of the project. Their copy now correlates with the change made in the controller. This is change number 1 in the Change Log.

User B then uses their copy of the same project from before the last change and attempts to Go Online. Their copy does not correlate with the last Download Stamp, nor does it correlate with the last change in the controller's Change Log and so it cannot correlate with the controller.

Note: Even though we know that there are two criteria that will not correlate, it is the Stamp mismatch that will prompt the user to act. The Change Log check is not executed as the first check has failed.

User B is prompted that the controller has changes that are not in the offline project (sometimes this is the reverse - offline file has changes not in the controller) and then User B has the option to upload to a new file, upload to an existing file, or download the offline project to the controller, overwriting the existing project.

You have an offline copy of the project file for machine 1 with rung comments and tag descriptions, etc. This offline project file has unique Creation and Download Stamps to the Stamps stored in the memory of the other two controllers. You are attempting to Go Online to the other two controllers with this offline project file and it is most likely failing the Stamp checks. You are then being prompted to upload to a new file or to an existing file. Attempting to upload to your machine 1 project file will continue to fail the Stamps check. It is not correlating. It is not compatible. Therefore, your only other option is to upload to a new file, giving it a new name for say, machine 2, and then in turn, machine 3.

Then, as advised earlier, Export the "Tags and Logic Comments" from the machine 1 file and Import them to the two new files one at a time.

This should work.

Also, if you want to be more sure that there are no major differences between the project file for machine 1 and the newly uploaded files, before Export/Import, then you can perform a compare between machine 1 and machine 2 and 3. This may throw up some differences you may not be aware of and which could affect how smoothly the Export/Import process goes for you.

In RSLogix 5000 go to Tools > Compare Tool (If installed - it should be)

Start a new compare and then select your machine 1 project file as the Base Project and Machine 2 or 3 as the Compare Project.

Don't forget that the above information relates to you using RSLogix 5000 version 20 or older. Please do answer the questions asked before going further, if you haven't already and still require assistance.

Regards,
George