Logix5000 v20 Fatal Error after Windows Update KB3102433

Welcome to the Forum!

That's a good tip, but it depends on what you are fixing. In the case of this thread, it was an installation of Microsoft .NET Framework v4 that had gone awry. Applying the CTRL+SHIFT reset here will not fix such a slightly more elevated issue.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Issue RsLogix5000 v20 - TIA Pörtal Siemens v13 win7 x64 sp1

tIt happened to me also that after installing windows update for the .Net Framework 4.6 I got this fatal error in RSLogix 5000 v20. First time I restore to the point previous of the update and It worked fine again. I deactivated the automatic windows updates of course.

Then, because of work, I had to install Siemens TIA Portal v13 in the same laptop. Well, I worked normally with TIA but then I had to make some changes in an AB PLC and surprise, same mistake (Fatal error) came up.

Checking the TIA installation the .NET Framework v4.6.1 came together with Siemens software. If I uninstall it TIA doesn't work, If I leave it RSLogix doesn't work. What a pain in the ***.

What I did is to use the "compatibility tool" that comes with windows (Right click in the .exe file of RSLogix to solve compatibility issues) And then It worked again just fine. Now I have .Net Framework 4.6.1, RSLogix 5000 v20 and TIA Portal working good. If you need more detailed info you can write me to [email protected]

Hope this info helps, Sorry for my english

Run as Admin Worked For Me!

Thanks for the post and feedback from a lot of folks. I struggled with the "Fatal Error Crash" for a long time. Following the suggestion I opened RSL5K v20.01 by running it as an admin. This opened it the program up like normal. I have been able to open it up again successfully even without admin privileges. So the reset sequence worked out well for me.

Unfortunately I didn't come to the forum for help until I had gone through complete uninstall/reinstall. Oh well!!

I've wasted the best part of a day installing & uninstalling countless versions of different programs trying to find a solution to this. I finally found this thread on Google and am amazed and relieved that the 'run as administrator' solution has fixed it for me too. As others have said you only have to do it once and then it works every time without crashing.

Luckily I managed to find this thread before uninstalling anything - run as admin worked for me too. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Cheers

I'm just posting so I can find this thread again - very useful information !!

Great detective work guys, this happened to me too, updated .net framework for a database thing.

Thanks for a quick fix! I was sweatin' a little as I have some remote work to do on a customer that has V20.

DMRoeder, who was the tech? Were his initials RS or DL?

Here is an alternative fix that worked on one of our laptops. I *think* I tried Run as Admin... before doing this, without luck. On the other hand, this was months ago, so who knows?

Anyway, what finally worked for me at the time was just to go to Programs and Features and uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1. Then I installed .NET Framework 4.5.2 straight from Microsoft. Everything just worked after that.

Here is an alternative fix that worked on one of our laptops. I *think* I tried Run as Admin... before doing this, without luck. On the other hand, this was months ago, so who knows?

Anyway, what finally worked for me at the time was just to go to Programs and Features and uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1. Then I installed .NET Framework 4.5.2 straight from Microsoft. Everything just worked after that.

Service Desk Clerk : Can I help you sir ?

Customer : I've just come to pick up my car I left this morning for a full service, It's the Rockwell one....

Service Desk Clerk : Oh yes... I have the job-sheet here. Ahhh... I'm sorry sir, the car isn't working properly. It appears as though the engine manufacturer has made some modifications to the engine management control unit, which makes it incompatible with your car's control system.

Customer : So when can you fix it and let me have my car back ?

Service Desk Clerk : We don't fix these "issues", sir. That's your problem to deal with. You can try contacting the car manufacturer, or the engine management system manufacturer, they might have come across this problem before, or they might not, it's a bit of a lottery, sorry.

Customer : But why did you update the engine management control unit, so it wouldn't work with my system ?

Service Desk Clerk : Because they told us to, sir. They said it would fix another problem they had found, although your system wasn't showing any signs of that problem at all.

Customer : But, I've got places to go, people to see, I need my car, like NOW !

Service Desk Clerk : I can give you some websites you could visit, some forums, hopefully someone else has had the same problem and has found a solution or a work-around... there's no guarantee they'll work on your system though, some solutions work for some people, other solutions work for others, like I said, it's a bit of a lottery, trial and error, suck it and see, scenario. To be honest, sir, it could be days before you can go anywhere useful in that car.....

It just happened to me, and thanks to the fine work of this forum, I was able to launch RS5000 as Administrator, and then close it out and re-launch it as a normal user.

Thanks guys!!!

Thanks to all in this thread!
I'm posting my version info stuff in case someone has a similar setup.

I'm running a Win7 Pro x64 laptop and run RS5000 v21.03 mini. Everything was running fine and then i did a Win Update... opening RS5000 after that gave the dreaded fatal error message... not something i was looking forward to the day before the customer came to visit.

The update culprit for me was Microsoft .NET Framework v4.7.1 (KB4096418). I did an uninstall of that update, reboot, and RS5000 was running again!

I haven't tried the RunAsAdmin trick. After this machine ships, I may go down that road and see if it works.

Studio5000 Logix Designer Fatal Error 0xc015000f

I also had a Fatal Error 0xc015000f while trying to open a Ver 21.01 RSLogix5000 program. This occurred after a Windows update. After calling Rockwell Tech Support I was able to fix the issue by:
1) click on the Windows button on the lower left of the Windows screen
2) Type regedit in the search box and right click "regedit.exe"
3) Click "run as administrator" and click the "yes" button on the "User Account Control" pop-up.
4) double click the "never show" file and change the 0 to a 1 in the "Value Data" box.
5) close the window screens and start the Studio5000 program.

Hope this helps someone.