Electrical Drawings - Showing Wiring Terminals

Timeismoney08

All,

I've asked a million questions today.

Hopefully this is the last, but do you show anything on your drawings to indicate entry and starting of a new wire into a wire terminal. Something like the typical wago terminals.

If so, how do you show it? Just with a dot?

Thanks for the help!

I used to work for a UK company with a division in Tennessee.
they detailed every enclosure and junction box.

I've had customers request that kind of detail, most don't care.
just give them a reliable set of cad drawings with terminals noted so they can wire it and they are happy.

james

Open-Circle with a terminal number, in the line diagram. A dot is a node/connection.
Then in the panel layout as long as everything is scaled properly label the terminals blocks "sometimes". But most of the time the customers like font large enough to see. Greater or equal to (.125). So most of the time not labeled in the panel layout.

The first thing is to always include a symbol sheet or table somewhere. That solves a lot of problems. So terminals can then be circles, squares, triangles, etc.

The first thing is to always include a symbol sheet or table somewhere. That solves a lot of problems. So terminals can then be circles, squares, triangles, etc.

So just by having a sheet showing the symbols used will allow me to use any symbol I like? or is that just for things that don't have a standard symbol for?

I find it nice to indicate when a wire is joined on a terminal. I also, mostly with timers and specialty devices, mark which terminal on them each wire goes to.

However, I do remember years back the first German air compressor I worked on had a schematic of ONLY terminal numbers - no wires were numbered on the schematic or labelled in the machine. I had to trace each wire in the schematic to see where it came from (IE - CR05, terminal 3) and where it was going. The only time I can figure that would come in handy would be when the machine is being wired during the build.

However, I do remember years back the first German air compressor I worked on had a schematic of ONLY terminal numbers - no wires were numbered on the schematic or labelled in the machine. I had to trace each wire in the schematic to see where it came from (IE - CR05, terminal 3) and where it was going. The only time I can figure that would come in handy would be when the machine is being wired during the build.

I had to change two Parker drives on a German-made Huber dewatering system today. Both were making a lovely bang when powered up. Detailed drawings, but not a single wire labeled within the panel.

Had to add insulation tape labels to each wire during the change. Real pain in the *** for a Friday afternoon breakdown, too much thinking involved!

[..] do you show anything on your drawings to indicate entry and starting of a new wire into a wire terminal. Something like the typical wago terminals.
If so, how do you show it? Just with a dot?
"Entry and starting new wire into a wire terminal".
I read that as how do you show how the wiring is really connected for when you wire the same potential to several compoenents. In other words connecting a wire to a component terminal, and then continuing the same potential by connecting a new wire to the same terminal.
In that case a dot is not enough. We use a symbol like in the picture below.
You can see that the potential -XG2.1:1 from the left goes into =SCC.G1-FC4:13, and the continues with a new wire to the right.

It does not matter if it is a terminal, a contact on a relay or any other component, the principle is the same.

wire_branch.png

Had to add insulation tape labels to each wire during the change. Real pain in the *** for a Friday afternoon breakdown, too much thinking involved!

That is exactly the reason why there were no wire labels in the first place - labeling wires is a very time-consuming part of wiring process. Of course that means that if this particular wire has to terminate at terminal strip -X1, terminal 5, connection point 1 - it will be terminated right there, dammit! And not at the connection point 2 of the same terminal or you'll lose your job, Dummkopf!

That is how it works :)

So just by having a sheet showing the symbols used will allow me to use any symbol I like? or is that just for things that don't have a standard symbol for?

Umm, well yes, unless you are following a higher order specification that says you have to use something different.

"Entry and starting new wire into a wire terminal".
I read that as how do you show how the wiring is really connected for when you wire the same potential to several compoenents. In other words connecting a wire to a component terminal, and then continuing the same potential by connecting a new wire to the same terminal.
In that case a dot is not enough. We use a symbol like in the picture below.
You can see that the potential -XG2.1:1 from the left goes into =SCC.G1-FC4:13, and the continues with a new wire to the right.

It does not matter if it is a terminal, a contact on a relay or any other component, the principle is the same.

But are two wire #XG2.1:1 landed on the #13 terminal of the switch or is there a joint/terminal somewhere else? Sorry, I’m not a big fan of this style of drawing.

But are two wire #XG2.1:1 landed on the #13 terminal of the switch or is there a joint/terminal somewhere else? Sorry, I’m not a big fan of this style of drawing.

As this is drawn, it shows that yes, there are two wires at the connection point 13 of contact -FC4 with no terminal in between. This style of drawing may take some getting used to but actually shows how things should be wired quite clearly.