Connected Components Workbench Slow

twocozz

I have to program a micro850 for the first time using Connected Components Workbench. My first impressions are not good. In fact I would say this is the worst software I have used for a long time. My biggest gripe (apart from the dreadful debugging) is how long it takes to actually build and download a simple program (over a minute), and online changes are even worse. At this rate it will take me a month to code something that would normally take a week or so.

I have a fast i7 machine with lots or ram & a SSD that can rebuild a large Visual Studio multi project solution in less than 20 seconds yet the compiler on CCW takes a lifetime to compile a few lines of code.

Anybody else used this software? Is this normal? I have tried connecting via USB and Ethernet but still the same.

Yes. Only used it once, but found the same thing. Viewing online is clunky at best and if you use ST its even more of a pain.

Nicely priced units but now Siemens have brought out a cheap entry level 1200 we ditched CCW.

The software is a bit of a let down, which is a shame because there are lots of features packed into it and the hardware is good.

I did a couple of small projects with the 800, software is diabolical, download took several minutes. Never again. The reason why I used the 800 was the price of ÂŁ60.- per PLC.
I thought that was pretty cheap so I bought a few. Foolish me, I should have looked at the software first. So, yeah mate, you are not alone ...