Beginning path PLC programming

And Siemens is something you don’t grasp? :)

Hahaha, oh i grasp Siemens! I grasp their equipment and throw them off oil tanks!
(StuxNet proved that Siemens couldnt handle a massive attack by two nation states! Never would have happen to RA products =P)

It's absolutely worth it. The best thing you can do is find an automation engineer/technician that likes beer, and buy him/her beer. Find a mentor. I cut my teeth on basic IDEC, then moved to Phoenix contact, and now Allen-Bradley. My prospects only got better with time and experience. The journey has taken me from water treatment in Washington to a remote island in Alaska to a automotive factory in Michigan. Do it. Automation is not going away.

Hello and welcome
o.png

PLC programming itself is not very hard (compared to higher level programming on PCs), but what makes it different than computer programming is that you need to understand what are you controlling. Basically the better you understand the process the better PLC programmer you are.
Surely, having PLC programming experience will help you to do things faster, but until you start understanding the process you won't be making any progress.
I'm not very experienced programmer (graduated in EE and been programming PLCs <2 years) but in this time my knowledge about PLCs didn't grow much (I didn't learn many new functions or algorithms of how to do things), but I learned to navigate through electrical schemes, P&ID, hydraulic diagrams, sensor lists, mechanical layouts, drives' kinematic schemes, component lists and other documentation to make my program work.

What is rewarding about PLC programming is that feeling when you solve some hard problem and still you can earn nice money if you work in right part of industry and often this job includes a lot of traveling to various places and countries.

Hahaha, oh i grasp Siemens! I grasp their equipment and throw them off oil tanks!
(StuxNet proved that Siemens couldnt handle a massive attack by two nation states! Never would have happen to RA products =P)

**OFF TOPIC** (it's that kind of day)

Thanks for the StuxNet note, I quire enjoyed reading about it. What is "RA" products?

Thanks
Kal

A lot of people say RA is overpriced, but if everyone continues to buy it, is it really?
It goes back to something I been saying a lot; ill defined argument criteria. For some application, RA isn't the best fit but for others, where the cost of hardware isn't even a point of contention, RA can actually be the cost leader that can handle fulfill the requirement.