AB Kinetix300 Servo Controller

tumbared

Doing a project where I will be using an AB Kinetix300 Servo Controller for a Rotary Cutter. I have never done the configuration/setting up of any servo controller and would appreciate your help on how to go about this! It is to be used in conjuction with RSLogix 5000 in a Micrologix 1400 if not mistaken.

...bit mistaken...
MicroLogix 1400 is not a Logix class controller (yep, the MicroLogix's name is confusing) so you will be using RSLogix500 and not RSLogix5000.
More...If you are using an ML controller, most likely you will not be able to run any servo/motion application since the almost forty years old platform does not have any integrated servo control provisions.
To run a motion application using an EtherNet/IP Kinetix300 drive you will have to use a Compact/ControlLogix CPU controller carrying Rev.19 or later.
Decide what controller you are going to use.
If you will decide on a 5730 CompactLogix(which I think it will be the most cost efficient solution due to the "machine level" proposal) follow and study the following links:

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m021_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m002_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m003_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m004_-en-e.pdf

Good luck!

Hi

I would try to use the 350 if you can as I don't think
The 300 is great. You will have to use ver 20 and
Be carefull which processor you buy as it will only work
Work with the new compact logic that have a M in the part
Number.

I sure if you post your part numbers first you will be helped out here

Donnchadh

You're right dmargineau, its an 1100-any more info please!
@Donnchadh-I got to a new employer who had already ordered all the required materials and have to execute with whats there (in a 3rd world country and musclepower limited-lol)
Your help guys will be very much appreciated-completed installation and switching on machine tommorow for pretess and commissioning!

tumbared, It is important that you understand exactly what equipment you have and what software you will be using. Otherwise you might get stuck in a situation where you won't be able to "musclepower" through it.

It sounds like your PLC is of the MicroLogix platform and you will thus be using RSLogix 500. This is unfortunate for many different reasons. The Compact/Control Logix are better suited for this application. They have pre-defined Add On Instructions, pre-defined tag structures, and can be easily put on the EthernetIP cyclic communication. There are also numerous code samples for the Kinetix 300 for the RSLogix 5000 platform.

That being said, you can still control the drives with a ML1100 or ML1400. The drives close their own position loop and serve as stand alone indexers so the integrated motion control stated by others is not a requirement.

Unfortunately, you will have to develop all of your own messaging routines in RSLogix500. You will have learn a lot more about the drives and will have to understand how to format the messaging to access the drives parameters correctly.

Start with this manual here.
http://www.cednebtrc.com/ftp_bbernier/Kinetix 300 User Manual.pdf

Appendix G deals specifically with RSLogix500 messaging to the K300. They don't give you much, but it is enough to get you started.

The drives themselves are setup simply by using a web browser. They default to an IP of 192.168.124.120. It is good practice to hook directly up to each one and configure the IP properly before plugging them into your network. The fourth octet can be changed using the front keypad. For reasons nobody has ever been able to explain, octets 1,2,and 3 need to be changed while online. It is probably just a holdover from the orginal Lenze firmware of the 940 drives.

Go to Rockwell's website and search for some sample code. You will find most of what you are looking for has already been done. It is just a matter of massaging it to fit you application.

Although not common, it is also possible to control these drive with a Logix500 series controller using simple step and direction signals. In this manner you would treat them as stepper drives and the Ethernet connection would be optional for control purposes.

Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you!

Just to amend my last post, if cost is the most important attribute of your project, you might want to look into the Micro800 series Allen-Bradley controllers, specifically the Micro830 CPU.
I will support up to three axii (Kinetix300, PF755)motion applications over a Modbus communications network and they are single platform integrated with A-B PanelView Component HMIs.
The software, Connected Components Workbench (CCW)-Standard Edition, is free and "open source"; the CPU pricing for a middle tier Micro830 PLC is some $200. It doesn't have EtherNet/IP capabilities yet; the Micro850 family which will support EtherNet/IP software connection/explicit messaging is scheduled to be released in 2013.
To make a long story a lot shorter, Micro800 systems are RA/Allen-Bradley's answer to Siemens' S7/TIA (Totally Integrated Automation) CPU/Software control systems which is using a single software platform (TIA) for Controllers, HMIs and Peripherals configuration.
More detailed info at:
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro830

Thanks for your help gentlemen-I am back though for your assitance! Seems I hav to do with 1100 series and I hav done the program but I am not able to change the 3 octets on the servo IP (from 192.168.0.170 it was delivered with)and when I try thru Internet Explorer I only get a blank screen with Rockwell Automation words on it! Can someone help but just before I left work I checked if I hav software for the MotionView and seems its not available-can this be the issue?

Hi tumbared, this is my first reply to a post, I hope can help you. I just went trhough a project that consisted in replacing the control system for a tube plastic cutter, I used an ML1100, a Kinetix 300 and a PanelView Component C600, I downloaded a sample code from AB website, here is the link: (http://samplecode.rockwellautomation...mms_055053.zip), It is the PLC program for a ML 1400, it includes all the necessary logic for messaging trhough ethernet, I just made some little changes in some instructions, because those were not valid in ML1100, and of course the processor, I also had to upgrade the RSLogix 500 versin since the one I was using (7.2) is not able to recognize ML1400. Until now it´s working OK.
Regarding the configuration of the Kinetix, once you apply power to it, you can see its IP address on the display, type it on your web browser and then you can get connected to the drive (of course, before you have to assign a static IP address to your computer that corresponds to the IP address of the Kinetix, just changing the last number).

Thanks for your help gentlemen-I am back though for your assitance! Seems I hav to do with 1100 series and I hav done the program but I am not able to change the 3 octets on the servo IP (from 192.168.0.170 it was delivered with)and when I try thru Internet Explorer I only get a blank screen with Rockwell Automation words on it! Can someone help but just before I left work I checked if I hav software for the MotionView and seems its not available-can this be the issue?

Tumbared, The software for the Kinetix 300 is embedded on the drive. You will need Java installed on you PC to run it.

You will need to change the first three octets of your PC LAN to 192.168.124 to talk to the drive. The default address should be 192.168.124.120, but I have also seen it documented to be 192.168.124.200. So try both I guess. Just make you set your PC to somthing other than 120 or 200.

As mentioned once you have your LAN setup, simply bring up a web browser and type in the IP in your address bar. It should automatically ask you if you want to install if your permissions are not too strict.

Thanks all! Domain, I belive u have brought up what could be thhe issue here-Java on my laptop, will check that first thng tomorow morning!

Thanks, installed java and can communicate with the servo, and have got my 1100 as well as the Redlion controller communicating but still have one last grey area-my servo drive is not geting into run mode and is not rnning of course! Have checked how it is communicating with the 1100 and have got NEQ integer stuck on 999 resulting in no run command!
NB: I am using the Kinetix300 example as per SanluisPotosiMex link!

KINETIX 300 with 1769-L30ER

Thanks for the start, we are starting up some machines using the above configuration and RSLogix 5000. I'm trying to decipher all the info available. I do not yet physically have these in my hands to power up.

Is the only way to get motion on these through messaging?

Can they use any of the "motion move instructions" for servo motion?

I will need Point-to-Point moves and also some "move to torque" in some cases.

thanks

Thanks for the start, we are starting up some machines using the above configuration and RSLogix 5000. I'm trying to decipher all the info available. I do not yet physically have these in my hands to power up.

Is the only way to get motion on these through messaging?

Can they use any of the "motion move instructions" for servo motion?

I will need Point-to-Point moves and also some "move to torque" in some cases.

thanks

The Kinetix 350 is for integrated motion. The 300 is just an indexer.

No, you don't need messaging using a 5000 series controller. The connection is scanned.