SLC 500 Ethernet Setup

JSPLC

Hello,

Can some one direct me to some good documentation as to how the setup ethernet communication from my PC to a SCL 5/05.
I am not very knowledgable about networking and I would prefer to use ethernet communication vs. serial to talk to the SLC.

see if this helps
Setting a SLC 5/05 for Ethernet communication

Configuration Using RSLogix500 Programming Software

The following step-by-step procedure shows how to set up the SLC 5/05 and establish communication on an Ethernet network. You will need to assign a unique IP address for your processor. This procedure also shows how to create a ladder program for an SLC 5/05 processor and download it via the RS232 COM port on your computer to channel 0 (RS232) on the SLC 5/05. You can use the 1747-CP3 Programmer Cable to make the physical connection.
Important: For this configuration method, you must first download a program to the SLC 5/05 (via RS232) before you can establish Ethernet communications.
Finally, this procedure assumes that you have previous experience with SLC 500 processors and RSLogix500 programming software. If you do not, the following publications will help with the SLC 500 hardware and the instruction set. For the software (RSLogix500 and RSLinx), use the online HELP screens to guide you through developing a program and configuring channel 0 communication parameters.
  • SLC 500 and MicroLogix 1000 Instruction Set Reference Manual, publication 1747-6.15.
  • SLC 500 Modular Hardware Style Installation and Operation Manual, publication 1747-6.2.
Define SLC 5/05 Processor and I/O Modules
  1. Start RSLinx software.
  2. When the RSLinx window appears, click on the “Communications” pull-down menu and select “Configure Drivers”.
  3. In this step, you will configure RS232 driver. In the “Configure Drivers” window, select “RS232 DF1 Devices” and click on the “Add New” box. The “Configure Allen-Bradley DF1 Communications Device” window will appear. Select the communications port you wish to use. This is the PC serial port COM1 through COM4. Under Device Type, select “SLC–CH0” and “CRC error checking”. If you have an RS232 cable connected between the selected COM port on your PC and channel 0 on your SLC 5/05, you can click on “Auto-configure” to define your interface parameters.

If you do not use “Auto-Configure”, you must enter the channel 0 default parameters as follows:
    • Device Type: SLC-CH0
    • Baud Rate: 19200
    • Parity: None
    • Error Checking: CRC
    • Stop Bits: 1
    • Protocol: Full Duplex
    When finished, click “OK”. “AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:0 COM n : RUNNING” will be added to the list of Configured Drivers (where n = the number of the COM port you selected). Minimize the RSLinx window.
  4. Start RSLogix500 programming software and create a new file.
  5. In the “Select Processor Type” window, choose the SLC 5/05 processor type:
    • 1747-L551, 16K memory
    • 1747-L552, 32K memory
    • 1747-L553, 64K memory
    Assign a name to the processor and click OK. A ladder programming screen will appear showing only an END rung.
  6. Using the list on the left side of the screen, double-click on “Controller Properties” under the “Controller” category (folder).
  7. In the “Controller Properties” window, click on the “Controller Communications” tab. In this window, select “AB_DF–1” as the driver. Click on “OK”.
  8. Using the list on the left side of the screen, double-click on “I/O Configuration” under the “Controller” category.
  9. In the “I/O Configuration” window, you can identify your SLC hardware (chassis and I/O modules) either manually or automatically.

Note: For automatic configuration, you need to have your SLC hardware installed and the programming cable (1747-CP3 or equivalent) connected between the SLC 5/05 Channel 0 and the PC COM port.

Manually – In the “I/O Configuration” window, select the rack and I/O modules that you have. Close this screen (click the close button [ x ] in the upper right corner of the window).

Automatically – In the “I/O Configuration” window, click on “Read I/O Config”. The “Read I/O Configuration from Online Processor” pop-up will appear. Select as the driver “AB_DF1–2” and click on the “Read I/O Config” button. Your rack (chassis) and I/O configuration should update automatically. Close this window.
  10. Using the list on the left side of the screen, double-click on “Channel Configuration” under the “Controller” category.
  11. In the “Channel Configuration” window, click on the “Chan. 1 – System” tab. Deselect the “BOOTP Enable” option by clicking on the checked box. Enter your unique IP address in the space provided. A subnet mask is used to interpret IP addresses when the internet is divided into subnets. If your network is not divided into subnets, then leave the “Subnet Mask” at the default. If you change the default and need to reset it, type 0.0.0.0 .

Note: The “Hardware Address” will be filled in by the processor when you download this program to the SLC 5/05 processor. After you have entered your IP address and disabled the BOOTP option, click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
Create Program and Configure Comms Drivers

1. You are now ready to create your ladder logic. An example is shown below. In this example, there are two SLC 5/05 processors. The MSG instruction from the first processor reads the seconds value of the Real Time Clock (S:42) from the second processor and constantly places the value in the first processor’s file at N7:60. Add the MSG rung to the ladder. Note: The control block length for ethernet MSGs is 51 words.
    A5273_img1.png
  2. In the “Message Setup” window, enter the MSG parameters and click “OK”. Then click on the “verify file” button [check in box] at the top of the screen. Then save your program file.
  3. With RSLogix500 still up and running, click on the RSLinx program previously minimized at the bottom of the screen.
  4. When the RSLinx window appears, click on “Communications” pull-down menu and select “Configure Drivers”.
  5. In this step, you will configure RS232 and Ethernet drivers.
RS232 – In the “Configure Drivers” window, select “RS232 DF1 Devices” and click on the “Add New” box. The “Configure Allen-Bradley DF1 Communications Device” window will appear. Note: If you configured the RS232 DF1 Device previously, then see the “Ethernet” section below. Select the communications port you wish to use. This is the PC serial port COM1 through COM4. Select the Device Type “SLC–CH0” and “CRC error checking”. If you have an RS232 cable connected between the selected COM port on your PC and channel 0 on your SLC 5/05, you can click on “Auto-configure” to define your interface parameters. If you do not use “Auto-Configure”, you must enter the channel 0 default parameters as follows:
  • Device Type: SLC-CH0
  • Baud Rate: 19200
  • Parity: None
  • Error Checking: CRC
  • Stop Bits: 1
  • Protocol: Full Duplex
When finished, click “OK”. “AB_DF1-1 DH485 Sta:0 COM n : RUNNING” will be added to the list of Configured Drivers (where n = the number of the COM port you selected).
Ethernet – In the “Configure Drivers” window, select “Ethernet to PLC-5 or 5820-E1”” and click on the “Add New” box. The “Configure Ethernet-to-AB Communications” window will appear. Enter the IP address for your SLC 5/05 processor beginning with node 1 under “Current Mappings”. Use the “IP Address or hostname” box to enter the address and click on “Accept”. After entering the IP address, click on “OK”. “ AB_ETH-1 A-B Ethernet RUNNING” will be added to the list of Configured Drivers. Close the “Configure Drivers” window and minimize RSLinx as
before.
Download the Program

1. In RSLogix, click on “Comms” pull-down menu and select “System Comms”.
  2. Be sure that you have connected your PC COM1 port to SLC 5/05 channel 0 (RS232 Programmer Cable 1747-CP3). In the RSLogix “System Options” window, verify that “AB_DF1-1” driver is selected and click on “Download”. Enter a version number when asked, click “OK”, and answer “yes” to any further pop-up windows that appear. Your program will be downloaded to the processor. When asked if you wish to go online, click “yes”.
  3. Using the list on the left side of the screen, double-click on “Channel Configuration” under the “Controller” category. Select the “Chan.1 – System” tab to view the IP address you entered and the hardware Ethernet address assigned by the SLC 5/05 processor. Verify that this information is correct. Click on “Cancel”.
  4. Go “OFFLINE”.

Switch to the Ethernet Network and Go ONLINE

1. Connect your computer and your SLC 5/05 processor to any standard Ethernet hub. You will need an Ethernet communication card to connect your PC to the Ethernet hub.
  2. In RSLogix, click on the “Comms” pull-down menu and select “System Comms”. In the “System Options” window, change the “Driver” to “AB_ETH-1” and “Apply”. Click on “Who Active”.
  3. The “Who Active” window will appear showing your Ethernet node. Your computer will be “STA 63 AB_ETH-1” with its assigned name. Your SLC 5/05 will be “STA 1” with its assigned name. Double-click on the “STA 1” icon. Then go on-line with your SLC 5/05 via Ethernet.
  4. If you have a second SLC 5/05 processor, set it up following the same procedure as for the first SLC 5/05, but using its own unique IP address.
  5. If you have two SLC 5/05 processors, and you have entered the one-rung MSG into both of them, you may put them both in the “RUN” mode and monitor N7:60 in either processor. The value of N7:60 should increment with each tick of the Real Time Clock in the other SLC 5/05 processor. If you only have one SLC 5/05, you cannot send MSGs, but you are on-line with your processor via 10 Mbps Ethernet.
Note: More information on the configuration screen for CH1 ethernet on the 5/05 can be found in publication 1747-RM001 page 354 located at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1747-rm001_-en-p.pdf