Level switches for sewage tanks

Charbel

Dear,

I am looking for level switches that perform properly in sewage water where there is possibility of flocs and some objects (maybe bags, baby napkins), sewage pumps are located in an airport.
Float switches are not functioning properly specially the one related to low low level because of the presence of some foreign objects in the pit as stated above. Kindly share ideas based on your experience if you have some alternatives.
Thank you

Last week I was at a couple location and one has this
in their waster water transfer tank and the other location had this in their treated water holding tank. The pressure switch was for low and low low level and the high and overflow levels had float switches.

I have zero experience with either and read about them to have an overall understanding of the system.

Ultrasonic and radar sensors work great if you can stay within their working range. There are typically deadbands that need to be avoided at all costs. Because they are electronic, it is good to have them wired and configured in such a manner that will tell your controller if a valid signal is not present (failsafe). Backup or verification sensors are always a good idea in critical processes.

Why not use a Float switch which travels up and down on a pole, then take some plastic wire mesh and make a tube around it to prevent foreign objects effecting it travel.

Some cautions with ultrasonics:
- you can't be too close to a tank wall, or you will get echos off the wall and false readings
- when mounting outdoors wind can cause the echo to drift and cause loss of signal
- if you have foam or floating debris you will get a level reading from them that isn't exactly correct

Bubblers have fallen out of fashion, but they are cheap and reliable.

Are the floats rod-mounted from the top, or are they mounted on the side of the tank? I've had lots of success using Vega ultrasonic tuning fork switches, but that was in oil, they might not work if something got hung over the top of the fork.

Pulsar (as mentioned above) and very good in waste application's, we use them almost exclusively in our sewerage pump station's (lift station's). We also use the Vega WL S61 radars and they are very good, loop powered instrument with Bluetooth (for easy maintenance). I would recommend the Vega personally.

Some cautions with ultrasonics:
- you can't be too close to a tank wall, or you will get echos off the wall and false readings
- when mounting outdoors wind can cause the echo to drift and cause loss of signal
- if you have foam or floating debris you will get a level reading from them that isn't exactly correct

Bubblers have fallen out of fashion, but they are cheap and reliable.

This is good advice. I have an application personally right now in a lift station that foam seems to be throwing it off. How do you recommend handling a problem like that? Do you use float backup in case something makes the sensor inaccurate?

This is good advice. I have an application personally right now in a lift station that foam seems to be throwing it off. How do you recommend handling a problem like that? Do you use float backup in case something makes the sensor inaccurate?

At least one low level float to keep the pumps from running dry.

Radar.