Can MicroLogix 1400 communicate with EtherNet/IP adapter?

Clark0325

My company perchased a "MicroLogix 1400" to verify the connection with our
"EtherNet/IP to Modbus gateway", which is use as an EtherNet/IP adapter while
The MicroLogix 1400 is an EtherNet/IP scanner.

Here are my problems:

1 I have notice a comment on website of ML1400 says “allows controllers to exchange data with other controllers through messaging; does not support scanning of I/O on Ethernet adapters”.
Does it means MicroLogix 1400 cannot act as an EtherNet/IP scanner and work with an EtherNet/IP device which acts as an EtherNet/IP adapter?

2 I tried to setup the MSG block on RSLogix 500 to communicate with our module and always get "Invalid data type" error. No matter what data type I select. And of course I can't connect with our module.

Are you manufacturing this device, or are you testing something made by another company ?

I'm not going to describe all of EtherNet/IP in a Forum post: you can get that from the ODVA. But I'll hit the highlights.

In general, MicroLogix and SLC family controllers perform PCCC functions that are transported by CIP. PCCC is a protocol used mostly for older (PLC, SLC, and MicroLogix) controller data table reads and writes, rather than for I/O exchange.

ControlLogix family controllers (including CompactLogix) use EtherNet/IP differently; they not only perform CIP data table reads and writes, but also perform cyclic I/O connections using EtherNet/IP.

The technical name for devices participating in I/O connections on EtherNet/IP are Client and Server, or Target and Originator.

The terms Scanner and Adapter are commonly used to describe the hardware, but are not the proper technical terms for EtherNet/IP protocol roles.

The MicroLogix 1400 does have the ability to perform a CIP Generic Message to read and write the Assembly Object of a CIP device, but the connection is still an explicit message connection, not a cyclic I/O connection.

Some devices will work identically with an explicit or a cyclic message connection to the Assembly Object. Many will not.

To properly test a device that is intended to work with ControlLogix and CompactLogix, you need to use a ControlLogix or a CompactLogix.

Well, I am manufacturing this device and just want to figure out if our device can work properly with AB's PLC.

I had already test my device can properly work with a ControlLogix and its EtherNet/IP module which we borrow from other company. But eventually my company bought MicroLogix 1400 for it is much cheaper than ControlLogix.
And I soon realize they are totally different...

My device did support "explicit message connection". So do you mean there got to be some way to read/write data to my device?

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.