No communication with an SLC5/04 on download

IdealDan

I tried and failed to communicate with an SLC5/04 using a USB to RS232 serial cable but I could not find the Driver CD that should come with the cable, COULD THIS DRIVER ABSENCE BE MY PROBLEM?​

Well, Yes.

But if the cable is detected enough to show the serial port in device manager, probably not.
Can you screenshot the error message? Can you 'see' the SLC in RsLinx?

Well, Yes.

But if the cable is detected enough to show the serial port in device manager, probably not.
Can you screenshot the error message? Can you 'see' the SLC in RsLinx?
No, I can't see SLC in RSLinx,
Serial port in device Manager shows
sorry I didn't screen shot but "Auto configure" fails during DFI serial driver tab configuration in RSLinx.
What do you think please?

Autoconfigure doesn't always work with USB to serial converters. Did you say you successfully downloaded a project to the PLC and then lost communication?

Normally, when you download a new program to a SLC and there are differences in any of the channel configurations, you will be warned and given a choice whether or not to apply those changes. Did you see this warning? If so, did you apply the changes? If the answer is yes to both of those questions, you should be able to look at the file you just downloaded to obtain the information required to properly configure your RSLinx driver.

That's a common problem on the SLC5/04 it looks like somebody changed the channel 0 port to something other then the default factory settings. When that happens the only way to connect it either through the Data Highway port if you have the hardware or to reset the processor back to the factory default but when you do that you also lose all programs and data in the processor. If you have a copy of the original program stored away someplace your are good if not you may not be able to get in.
Good Luck