GE Profinet Ethernet vs Fiber for remote IO panels?

CJlikesCHAIRS

Is there a difference using ethernet or fiber in GE Proficy 9.0 using profinet? We have an issue where a panel has been moved and ethernet can't be used (about 440 ft ethernet run) and it isn't working properly. Is there anything we have to do in the PLC program to change the connection to use fiber instead of ethernet? The switch in the main panel has 8 ethernet and 4 fiber ports and I think our PNS cards (RX3i) have 2 slots for the SFP cages.

I've never used any fiber before, just looking for some advice/examples on how the fiber works within Proficy or if there are no changes needed.

Converting wired Ethernet to Ethernet over fiber optics should be invisible to the end devices, although I have encountered some media converters that were incompatible with others. It's possible that you have a defective switch or port, or that your fiber optics are not properly terminated.

Generally speaking, Ethernet is Ethernet, regardless of the transmission media.

Lengths make a difference as standard Ethernet would You could use a repeater or Switch but would not do it in a high speed servo type setting.. Being a HMI probably not an issue but well worth the effort to see the results. Read this off one of the Profinet PDF,s I have on hand.. Not all switches are created equal either.. Had one that worked with a Emerson SM Profinet module but not the SI Profinet.
From PDF
Its 100Meters for Electrical (Cat5/Cat6 cable)

Its 26Km for Optical (Fiber optics network)

Its 100Meters for Radio wave (WLAN)

You are using the discovery tool with your computer connected to to the profinet network, correct? You may check the device to make sure you have the correct GSDML file. If you have a newer version installed, you will more than likely not find / or have issues communicating