ATLAS COPCO Combox-E

FALKE

Hi!

I have a problem with communicating atlas copco combox-e (ethernet) with an AB COMPACTLOGIX. An atlas copco manual says that this is possible but doesn't say how. It's based in the master-slave principle.

I've tried to do it by messaging but I couldn't do it.

I don't know If I'm missign more data to configure the message instruction, but all I have are just the IP address, and the name of the module.

I can see the combox-e in the RSLINX but how it doesn't have EDS file, it appears as a yellow cuestion mark.

The only data I can see, is with the message instruction configured as DEVICE WHO, and the data replied are the name that the RSLINX gives to the module "ETHERNET MODULE" as an string, but I couldn't get Pressure, Temp, etc, from the compressors and driers.

Does anybody has code or something to help me?

Thanks in advance.
:oops:

Last edited:
FALKE,
I feel your pain, i just went through this recently. The support and documentation is hopeless from Atlas.

Set the Ethernet module properties to the following.
Input: Assembly Instance = 2 Size = 31
Output:Assembly Instance = 1 Size = 31
Configuration:Assembly Instance = 1 Size = 0

With the protocol manual you should be able to work out the rest. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks adrewf!

I'll try.

Do you have an e-mail to contact you?.. or if you don't want to write it down here, I give you mine: [email protected]

With the cofiguration module, are you talking about configuration of COMBOX-E???

The RSLOGIX 5000 version i'm using is 16.

I'll let you know what happen with this.

Thanks!

FALKE said:
With the cofiguration module, are you talking about configuration of COMBOX-E???
Thanks!

The parameters i listed above are for the Ethernet module in RSLogix 5000. You right click on your Ethernet Module (ENBT?) and select new module and then select the generic Ethernet module, then you put in the IP of the Combox and the parameters i listed above.

I will send you an email with my contact details, i might not get back to you staright away as i am going to be very busy ove rthe next couple of days.

Cheers,
Andrew

Atlas Copco

Does anyone have a newer program for Atlas Copco using AB 5/15 running rslogix 5. Our program is 12 years old,I would just like to look at a newer program to see if there is any updates we can make to ours. It can be a rslogix file or a pdf.

Thanks

Is it possible to get the read and writes back form the Electronikon control system to a DCS. Atlas Copco told us that all you could do with the ComBox-E was view the data in a web browser format. We would like to bring back the information to a Control Logix Platform, but we are nopt sure if this can be done using the ComBox-E... has any body had luck in doing this?

jheiser said:
Is it possible to get the read and writes back form the Electronikon control system to a DCS. Atlas Copco told us that all you could do with the ComBox-E was view the data in a web browser format. We would like to bring back the information to a Control Logix Platform, but we are nopt sure if this can be done using the ComBox-E... has any body had luck in doing this?

The data can be definately read/written by a ControlLogix or Micrologix PLC to the Combox E. See my post above for the parameters for the Ethernet module in Rslogix 5000. I have a Combox E Ethernet/IP protocol manual but it is too large to attach here (970KB).

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I'm getting into a couple of Atlas-Copco ComBox-E applications to CompactLogix and have experienced the same thin documentation.

FALKE, did you get this application running ?

Andrew, do you have some example code ?

The Assembly numbers that Andrew posted look familiar for Generic EtherNet/IP devices.

Since the header is 3 DINT and each data record is 3 DINT, can you have a header and up to 9 data records in each transaction ? That could be useful for things like the discrete and analog inputs, and the compressor counters.

I can see that Write operations have only one data record.

It looks like I have to write some iterative code to send data requests to particular nodes on the OpenProtocol CAN bus, and interject data writes when they occur from the host system.

I am also about to embark on getting this piece of gear to work with a CompactLogix. I will write back on my experiences (since the documentation is ****), thanks for the information already given!

Ken Roach said:
I'm going to resurrect this thread because I'm getting into a couple of Atlas-Copco ComBox-E applications to CompactLogix and have experienced the same thin documentation.

FALKE, did you get this application running ?

Andrew, do you have some example code ?

Ken,
Did you receive my email?

zankorel said:
I am also about to embark on getting this piece of gear to work with a CompactLogix. I will write back on my experiences (since the documentation is ****), thanks for the information already given!

Let us know if you have any problems. Also i live in the same region as you.

Pretty well got the code running now. I dont have live compressors attached to the Commbox, but the responses from the Commbox make sense.

It ended up being quite a complicated little program, especially when there are multiple compressors on the Commbox, and my obsession with making code that is non dependant on the data (ie making it very easy to add new data in future)

Once i connected with the commbox using the information given above, the documentation actually made quite a lot of sense and was pretty useful in understanding the packet structure that the Commbox uses. I just wish that they added that as a section in the document given by Atlas Copco.

if anyone has problems in future with this bit of gear, send me a PM and i should be able to give you a hand.

Hi Ken! I´m falke but with a new name.

Excuse me for disappear a lot of time, but well... Yes, I ran that application but I had the same trouble as you, I couldn't get more than one data record at time, and I tried to do it by cycling the program in order to avoid a huge program, but what I got was the same value to all my variables to read in spite of using synchronization bit. I think it could happen cause of the speed difference of CAN and Ethetrnet, or I commited a mistake cause my dead line was very soon and I couldn't do more tests so I decline for the huge program and I never knew what was my mistake.

To write, I stopped the tasks to read in the main program and only ran the task to write, when I confirmed that the data was written, I stopped the task to write and ran the tasks to read.

I read each data within 100 ms.

Hi silphio.

I suffer the same. Atlas Copco support is very very bad.

I talk in person with them in their offices, and what I can tell you, is that they don't know how to do the communication between AB and their Combox. They told me "We were performing the tests, but when we realized that it was sufficient with our controlers (elektronikon), we stopped the tests and never knew if that communication was possible" altough they say that is possible in their user manual.

Well, my e-mail [email protected], send me a message and I'll reply you with code added.

I just can tell you that thanks to andrewf I was be able to communicate the combox-e with Compactlogix.

THANKS ANDREWF!!!!!

C ya.

Last edited:
Helpme

Hi silphio.

I suffer the same. Atlas Copco support is very very bad.

I talk in person with them in their offices, and what I can tell you, is that they don't know how to do the communication between AB and their Combox. They told me "We were performing the tests, but when we realized that it was sufficient with our controlers (elektronikon), we stopped the tests and never knew if that communication was possible" altough they say that is possible in their user manual.

Well, my e-mail [email protected], send me a message and I'll reply you with code added.

I just can tell you that thanks to andrewf I was be able to communicate the combox-e with Compactlogix.

THANKS ANDREWF!!!!!

C ya.

hi ,biskvito
I want communicate to the elektronikon,use the combox .but now we don't have the user manual.of them can you send me a copy of combox-s or combox-p or combox-e .
Thanks in advance.

yours sincely
wuhongfu