sending signal from PLC to fanuc robot

dle

Hey everyone, I've posted on this forum a few time regarding my school project. I so close, but yet, so far away because of one setback. I cannot get the robot to receive the PNS signal from the PLC.

This is the setup for the fanuc robot 200ic mate:
teach pendant control = off
PNS selection
remote mode
keyed into auto mode(what should I use, auto or T1)
all I/O are correct and plugged accordingly
PNS0104 = 4 = small box
PNS0111 = 11 = long box
PNS0112 = 12 = cube box

My professor suggested I used MVM and BTD, I tried that and couldn't even get the start signal to turn on. Perhaps someone can show me an example of using MVM and BTD?

The setup I am using, the start signal stayed turn on for a few seconds, and turn off after a few seconds later. The PNS3 never turn became true, and my robot does not move. Some of the last few rungs aren't very important and will be remove. My robot does not execute the program and I have no clue anymore, even after simplifying my program to 1 PNS number. Can I please get some insight on what to do and what is causing it not to work.

Last edited:
Couple of very, very basic troubleshooting questions. They're gonna seem foolish, but as a rule there's no reason to over-complicate such problems.

1) Is the processor in RUN or REM-RUN mode? The program you've sent was either done from offline or the processor isn't running. Normally, for a problem such as what you've described, I might suspect that the program is in a subroutine that isn't being scanned. However, this is in LAD2, so it IS being scanned -- if the processor is running.

2) Can you force the output PNS3 and get it to turn on? Can you replace the T4:1.dn with just a pushbutton or a NO contact that you can easily toggle and make the output function? If you can't turn the output on without the conditioning logic, then it doesn't matter what the upstream logic is doing...

3) Then (here's the real problem...) check to see how many times PNS3 is used as an output. When you use the same output multiple times in a program, the last time it is referenced "wins". In this program, the conditioning logic in rung 15 wins. There's not a thing you can do to make the condition in rung 8 ever mean anything...

Thanks for the quick reply OZEE.

1. It is set to RUN after I downloaded it.
2. I followed your advice for #3. and now that part is working! When toggled, O:005/6 turns on briefly, start turn on, both go off.
3. Rung 8 is now the only rung with PNS3

After removing PNS3 from rung 15, PNS3 on rung 8 became true.

PNS3 turns on briefly when the box reached the SENSOR_END, shortly after that, start signal is received, PNS3 turns off, the start turns off a few second later.

There is still no program being executed. Is it the robot configuration?

And much thanks again OZEE

Last edited:
1-Make sure your Robot is set up to run PNS and Not RSR, I don't have a Robot in front of me but I think it is under Menue 6-Set-Up.

2-Key should be in Auto position with Teach Pendant Off. Hit reset on teach pendant and top view area will go green and be in Auto.

I copied this from a Fanuc manual:
Program number selection (PNS)
The remote controller uses the program number selection (PNS) function to select or collate a program. Specify
a desired PNS program number with the input signals, PNS1 to PNS8.
Step 1 The control unit reads the PNS1 to PNS8 input signals as a binary number by the PNSTROBE pulse input.
When a program is being executed or is temporarily stopped, these signals are ignored. When the
PNSTROBE pulse input is on, the selection of a program from the teach pendant is disabled.
NOTE In the initial status, the peripheral device input signal (UI) is disabled. To enable the signal, select TRUE
for Enable UI signals on the system setting screen.
2 The data of signals PNS1 to PNS8 is converted into a decimal PNS number. The sum of the PNS number
and the reference number is a PNS program number (four digits).
(Program number)=(PNS number)+(Base number)
The specified PNS+(Program number) program number is named as follows.
When a zero is input by the PNS1 to PNS8 inputs, the system enters the status in which no program is
selected on the teach pendant.
NOTE Specify the name of a program for automatic operation in “PNS” + (program number) format. Enter a
4--digit number such as PNS0138, not PNS138. If not, the robot will not operate.
The base number is set in $SHELL_CFG.$JOB_BASE and can be changed using Base number on the PNS
setting screen or a program parameter instruction.
3 SNO1 to SNO8 are output to indicate a PNS number as a binary code as confirmation. An SNACK pulse
is output simultaneously. If the PNS number cannot be represented as an 8--bit numeric value, SNO1 to
SNO8 output a zero.
4 The remote control unit checks that the SNO1 to SNO8 output value is the same as the PNS1 to PNS8 input
value when SNACK is output, and sends the automatic operation start input (PROD_START).
5 The control unit receives the PROD_START input and starts the program.
Starting a program by PNS is enabled in the remote state.
Starting a program involving an operation (group) is enabled when the operation enable conditions as well as
the remote conditions are satisfied.
The CMDENBL output is provided to indicate whether the above conditions are satisfied.

If all else fails you can try to call programs the way I do. I use a Group output register in the Robot and write a decimal number of the program I want the Robot to run in it. Can write to robot with a HMI or a PLC. I then have a run program that executes with cycle start to call the Robot program I want to run. Example:
If (Group Ouput 1) = 0 Jump to Label (1)
If (Group Ouput 1) = 1 run Ream program
If (Group Ouput 1) = 2 run Cut program
If (Group Ouput 1) = 3 run Box program
If (Group Ouput 1) = 4 run Wheel program
Label(1)
End

Thanks for the help jseavers.

The robot is set to PNS. Additionally, start continue was set to false.
The $SHELL_CFG.$JOB_BASE 100, so that is why I use PNS0104 instead of 0004. The key was tested in both Auto and T1.

When I run the program and start the conveyor, the robot turns on and I can hear a click and whirring sound, signifying its is ready on standby. I placed the box onto the line, passed 3 sensor which detect is as a small box,then reached the sensor at the end signifying it ready to be pickup. My PNS3 turn on, start turn on,PNS3 turn off, and start turn off. The PNS program never execute.

Any suggestion to what might be the case why my PNS won't execute? The timing diagram seems accurate according to the manual.

So if I understand you correctly, you are now getting all you signals to and from the plc and robot? With these signals you hear the robot enable but you have no motion? You have also verified that you are calling up proper robot program? If so, do any lines of code execute? You may need to post robot program. Is the pendant running any flags or simulated I/O? What tp software are you using? Are there any additional softwares like PMC addedto robot controller? What is the status of the robots safety signals? I will look up and post a menu map to locate how to verify that the robots core software has acknowledged your cycle start and is processing its commands.

Menu,file,F5(set device),MD (mem device),F2 (DIR),*.DG, scroll to PRGSTATE, press next,then F3 (display), then you can monitor task to verify PMSHELL Running@ ### in PMSHELL. You will use the F4/F5 key for yes/no to scroll through the list.

CHeck UOP disable

If you can look on the teach pendant and physically see that the Prod Start, and PNS inputs are coming on, check to see that the UOP is not set to disable. This was set a few times on me and the robot will ignore all UOP signals. It is basically used for troubleshooting, you can see if an estop is cleared when the robot ignores the fence open etc, Go to system variables and lookup OPWORK, Go to that line and hit enter. GO down the screen to #9 UOP DISABLE and make sure it is zero,. If not change it to zero and reboot the robot

I finally got it to work, much thanks guys!
Seems the reason it ignored my my inputs was what geoplc said, had to change UOP DISABLE and made it from 1 to 0. Thank you sir!

Hello everyone
my name is Mzolo, and i am a new guy

I have a similar problem to dle.I just can not get the robot to respond to my signals. I send out PNS signals (or at least I think I do)but the robot does not send a SNACK signal back to me,as a result I do not recieve and SNO signals either. The UOP is disabled. The other problem I have is that I do not know how to set a program that I have joged as a PNS valve on the PNS list of programs. My robot does, however, have some preset programs from a previous operator already set, I would really like to know how to do this myself.

Any amount of help in this regard would go a long way.

Hi mzolo
The sequence for pns is important and as follows.
1.Turn on binary program select bits (PNS01 binary 1, PNS02 binary 2, PNS03 binary 4, etc)
2. Turn on PNS strobe signal
3 . Now you should see the SNACK program you sent echo back under SN01, SN02, etc which relate one to one with PNS01, etc
4. Turn off PNS strobe, if you do not the robot will never respond to the PRODSRT production start.(Not START, that is only used to start a paused program or HELD robot)
5. Send PRODSTRT pulse (do not hold on)and the robot should run the program
All the signals can be monitord under the IO screens under UOP/SOP
Also the prgrams name needs to be PNSXXXX X being the program number i.e. PNS0003
You also need to setup the robot to PNS from RSR, cant remember menu strokes but will look up and send them
Good luck talk again soon

Unable to read DO signals from RJ2 controller in PLC

Hi guys,
I've gone through this thread and i'm pretty hopeful one of you would have the solution to my problem.

I have the CRM2A port on a RJ2 controller wired to a plc and for some reason i can send DI signals from the PLC to the Robot(Controller) however i can't read DO signals from the robot(controller) at the PLC end. I've triple checked my connection and it looks perfect. I've attached it here as well for your appreciation. I'm completely out of ideas what could possibly be the probem. o_O

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Wiring.jpg

Hi Guys
I have the same project that you discussed above, but I am a beginner. my questions are:
1- What kind of PLC should I use to connect to A Fanuc Robot Arm 200IC?
2- What is the easiest Method to connect PLC to a Fanuc Robot 200IC?