TIA Portal & Cognex FB

poj101

Hi All,

I am looking for a FB for Siemens TIA v14 to read/write to a Cognex Insight (7000 & 2000) over Profinet.
I have written multiple Rockwell programs using Cognex cameras but this is my first venture into Siemens... :eek:
I'm slowly getting my head around it đź“š
Cognex provide some great support for RSLogix / Studio 5000 but there doesn't seem to be much available on the Siemens side. I have set up the network side of it and thought I'de ask the question before I start writing code. Has anyone come across FB's similar to the Rockwell AOI's that are available?

I'm not sure how much you will find about 3rd party devices on the Siemens technical message board, but you could definitely give it a browse.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/ww/en/search/mainsearch/?text=cognex

Additionally you can enter a service request for technical questions related to Siemens hardware/software. They tend to respond very quickly, and it doesn't cost anything.

good luck

You shouldn't need a FB, just add the GSD, the Cognex manual will tell what data to read. I did a project a couple of years ago with a 5 series camera, I can post some screenshots.

Be aware of what kind of switch you place between plc and camera. A couple off weeks ago I had trouble getting a datalogic barcode reader working on profinet. I can't but maybe some other can explain why some switches will work and others will not. I was online on both plc and camera at the same time but the plc kept failing missing hardware. Connecting the plc directly to the camera and fault was gone. I replaced the switch and the problem was solved. Both switches were unmanged simple switches but different brands.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the pointers. Cognex support responded with a manual and some sample code. Pretty straightforward. Too large to post unfortunately. DM if anyone needs it