Remote IO for Compactlogix

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys. I did do alittle searching but nothing came out and answered what I want to know.

Currently, I am helping Design a control system upgrade. The old controller on site is an RTU and will be doing just Metering after the Upgrade, as the site is also getting additional IO

I want to go with a 1769-L33ER CPU at the main cabinet with the new IO for location, but for the 2 other sections on site i want to go with Ethernet remote IO.

I was building it with Compactlogix IO and a AENTR for each rack, but it got me thinking about the Point and Flex IO. I seem to recall that something was being or is discontinued, but i dont remember what. Each Section IO Count will be 16DI,16AI,8DO, 4AO. The potential to upgrade this location again in a year is high (Oil Battery, drilling new wells) Also the Remote IO must be Class1Div2 Rated, which Compactlogix is.

What are your thoughts?

I believe that flex I/O is being phased out, but point I/O is still very current. I still buy and install hundreds of point I/O cards a year.

The I/O count is well within the range of a point I/O rack. 2x IB8, 2x IE8C, 1x OB8 and 1x OE4V. Much more than that and you'd need to look at whether or not you need a bus power module (EP24VDC), but my general rule of thumb is that I don't need to bother doing the math on that until I have 8+ modules. So you should be fine.

I can't tell you anything about Class 1 Div 2 ratings though, sorry!

Some of the unusual 1794 FLEX modules have been discontinued, like the non-XT model conformally coated ones, and the A-B RIO protocol and Profibus adapters and ControlNet 1.25 adapters.

But in general all of those are active products. FLEX is mature, but still produced in volume.

I agree that 1734 POINT is probably a good choice for this application; more modern design, small installation footprint, popular and broadly stocked.

Most Rockwell I/O products are Class 1 Div 2 rated, as long as you don't unplug them under power. Check the Installation Instructions for each device to be certain.

I will advise this because you mention drilling. If you will have moderate vibration possible where the Point IO will be installed, then I would recommend against using Point IO. Even if it weren’t I would still recommend not to use it. My personal experience with them is that they are cheaply made and finicky.

There are plenty of other options available.
I’ve been replacing Point IO with these guys.
https://www.br-automation.com/en/products/io-systems/x20-system/bus-controllers/x20bc0088/

I use POINT I/O on an application where it undergoes significant vibration because there's the occasional rocket passing by. We added threaded tie-downs to hold the modules in place because the G's they experience are just too high for plastic snaps.

POINT has gold-plated contacts on purpose; the tin stuff that Wago and Beckhoff used to use would spall and oxidize.

I agree that X20 is pretty solid stuff, and we get a screaming deal on it because they're trying to earn our business. I personally don't like to get out a third-party configuration tool just to set up my I/O devices.

I'll third the B&R X20 and X67 IO solutions, they meet/exceed all ratings for location/use that Flex has. As a bonus, it's less expensive than Rockwell, takes up less space, has more module variety, and 100% made in Austria as opposed to Rockwell's IO which is mostly made in the 3rd world. You can run them on Ethernet/IP or just about any other protocol around.

PointIO is not well made and doesn't have all the certs FlexIO has. I'm constantly having terminal blocks break when I'm trying to insert wires too (it's like they're made of cheese). I thought I was doing something wrong the first time I used PointIO; the 3rd IO point in a row just flat broke when I put in my little screwdriver to release the spring terminal so I asked around and the unanimous answer was just that "they do that sometimes".

You ever taken apart a Point IO base module? Nothing is soldered. They use little flat spring pins pushed into a hole. How much contact do you have with a rectangle in a circle?

I’m sure other manufacturers do the same, but AB has given me a particularly bad taste in my mouth.

I am Getting Compact IO quoted as well as Flex IO. I do not like the springloaded design nor rack design of pointIO. I am familiar with both of these products, and if the client is willing to spend the extra i will go compactIO. Availability up in northern Canada is also a concern.

As for Modbus IO, i do use it on other design projects, but in this Case, they want to keep to Allen Bradley products (Spec.)

Last edited: