New Compactlogix 5480

It's smells like a solution searching for a problem to me...I mean, sure, you could maybe run a SCADA application on it (if RA supported W10), and that would be all nice and neat, but anything that's big enough to warrant SCADA is probably big enough to deserve a standalone PC.

I can't really see what I'd actually use it for in real life...any suggestions?

I can't really see what I'd actually use it for in real life...any suggestions?

First thought is to use it as a thin client, but how to connect the keyboard and mouse? Over display port?

I'm sure Ignition would run on it!

Nice way to run vision software without having to install a dedicated pc or ipc. I can think of sorting cells and automated quality control.

I haven't heard any internal details, but I wonder if this is really two side-by-side controllers, or a Windows 10 PC running a new version of the SoftLogix 5800 engine.

If the Windows 10 embedded side is meant for analytics and data gathering, maybe this is a good place for the FactoryTalk Historian embedded engine, or other OPC-UA and SQL applications.

Offers up to 6GB RAM dedicated to commercial OS

I hope they are running Win 10 on a virtual machine, VXWorks acting as the host. Can't trust windows controlling anything since I was told by an ATM running windows NT that I can safely turn it of now... ;)

'Vanilla' Windows is not a real-time operating system, either. Win10 IoT is apparently a rebranded Windows Embedded, in which the kernel itself is a run as a task in order to prioritize 'real-time' needs. So it could very well have replaced the VxWorks OS on this particular hardware.

If this is Rockwell's move to provide native support for Windows domain abilities on the controller (user rights, security, and so on) instead of shoehorn FactoryTalk headaches, I welcome it. Added bonus if Studio5k can be run on the device itself.

Last edited:
One of our customers started putting thin client ERP stations on production equipment. This could kill 2 birds with one stone.

I just bumped him up to a 5380 (5069-L310ERM) instead of using the L27 we already had for the project. See how it goes.

Looks interesting. First thing that came to my mind was the possibility of running an FT View ME runtime on it, no need for a dedicated HMI, just plug in a screen and kb/mouse!

Also possibilities for data logging and SQL integration, vision systems...

I'm supposed to bet getting a sample of one sometime. They mentioned them a while back when we were in Cleveland at a meeting with Rockwell. At the time, they mentioned that they wren't necessarily Windows 10 only, you could put what you want on them. And they are supposed to be two separate pieces of hardware integrated into one package. A CompactLogix and a PC, at least that is they way I understood it at the time. Reminded me of having a ControlLogix controller and one of those Prosoft in rack PC's stuffed into one package.

I'll ask for more specifics...

JeremyM said:
Added bonus if Studio5k can be run on the device itself.

brendan.buchan said:
First thing that came to my mind was the possibility of running an FT View ME runtime on it, no need for a dedicated HMI, just plug in a screen and kb/mouse!

OK, I take it back...now I'm suitably interested!