Number of Running Pumps

Saturn_Europa

Compact Logix
RS Logix 5000 v20.04
Function Block or Ladder

I want to create a new tag in a PLC for a large pump station that will allow me to historize the number of pumps that are running. This tag will be used in a high performance HMI graphic. The pump station has 6 pumps. I thought I would simply be able to use an "add block" to add up the number of boolean run indicator tags that are true or 1. The "add block" will not allow me to connect a boolean output tag to it. It appears that the "add block" will only allow float data types.

Is there and elegant way to solve this? I thought about using the ssum (selective summer block) but that requires a float also.

Not elegant, but simple, just create a temporary storage tag (I'd use a DINT).

Zero it (CLR Dummy)

XIC Running_Pump_1 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy
XIC Running_Pump_2 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy
XIC Running_Pump_3 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy

etc for all the pumps,

MOV Dummy, ToHMI_Pumps_Running

Use the separate dummy tag to ensure that the actual tag displayed by the HMI does not pick up its value during this little section of logic where the value could be less than the number actually running.

Not elegant, but simple, just create a temporary storage tag (I'd use a DINT).

Zero it (CLR Dummy)

XIC Running_Pump_1 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy
XIC Running_Pump_2 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy
XIC Running_Pump_3 ADD Dummy, 1, Dummy

etc for all the pumps,

MOV Dummy, ToHMI_Pumps_Running

Use the separate dummy tag to ensure that the actual tag displayed by the HMI does not pick up its value during this little section of logic where the value could be less than the number actually running.

+1 for simplicity, any "elegance" you introduce will be swamped by others not understanding what you have done.

And to be honest, the "brute force" method often outperforms other methods that are less transparent to the observer.

And definitely use a DINT as OkiePC suggests, it is the most efficient data-type in Logix5000 controllers.