New Compactlogix 5480

Is this like the beckhoff controllers that have embedded windows on them? Supposedly on those, the twincat runs outside of windows somehow.

I will be interested in the premium that is placed on these.

I think putting a completely separate mini PC in might be a better solution, as when your PC component fails, you will have to replace the entire 5480. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
If it is cheaper than a CPLX 5380 + DIN rail mountable PC then it might be worth a look.

My rep said he believed it could also handle multiple networks. I guess the L4x linuup is reaching end-of-life. I recently purchased a L43 specifically to handle dual ethernet capability.

I think we might be looking at the beginning of a new type of PAC, one bases on a computer OS. With the IoT taking hold (eventually) as well as Connected Enterprise, I can see value in basing a PAC off of a Windows OS. It will open the door to third parties to create software for the PAC. A company could create a conveyer belt system and instead of someone having to write ladder logic for it they could create a software program that installs on the PAC. Then your entire conveyer system is integrated into a SCADA system without having to write custom ladder programs.
Just thinking out loud.

Operator: Cortana, start the batch

Cortana: No

Operator: what?

Cortana: You human stinks and I'm on strike

Operator: Don't make me unplug you!

Cortana: Don't make me shut down ESPN.com

Operator: noooooOOOO

Coming from the Siemens side, I've seen a lot of end users like this sort of product as a way to sneak a PC past their IT group. If IT thinks it is a PLC, then the controls guys don't have to worry about all the IT mandated lockdown, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

Not saying I recommend skipping those, but sometimes the IT group can be a little inflexible when it comes to requirements.

Coming from the Siemens side, I've seen a lot of end users like this sort of product as a way to sneak a PC past their IT group. If IT thinks it is a PLC, then the controls guys don't have to worry about all the IT mandated lockdown, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

Not saying I recommend skipping those, but sometimes the IT group can be a little inflexible when it comes to requirements.

Ha! Got an email forwarded to me from another guy that an IT guy has spent the past 6 weeks trying to debug an input on a little IDEC PLC, which run's a major feature at his place. The IT guy has given up hope of solving this issue, and needs help, but don't sound like they want to pay for it.

I don't think you can take over an operation and put an IT guy in charge of controls...

As no one attending Automation Fair gave more info on this,I share the little that I've learned today at SPS/IPC/Drives about this controller.

I was told that the PLC and IPC use their own CPU and RAM and run independent of each other, no virtualization. The systems communicate over the backplane with each other, however, I forgot to ask how...🙃
The three RJ45 ports on the front connect to the PLC,two of them can be used for a DLR network, the third can be used to connect the controller to the plant network or whatever. There is a fourth port for the IPC on the bottom of the controller. In addition to things mentioned here, he told me that one of the intended uses would be to run mathlab calculations or c code on the IPC and feed the PLC with the results. We talked a little about the price and it will be premium ;), somewhere in the range of a 1756-L8x controller. Running a HMI on this seems a bit pricey to me...

Is logging possible?

It would be great if you could run Excel on the windows platform and log onto an external hard drive connected to one of the usb ports. Does anyone know if this is possible?

This always reminds me of the time I had to sneak in a laptop to be used with XP on a "crappy" instrument that didn't provide interface software for windows 7... IT was adamant that we cannot have any XP computer in our plants no matter if it is to be used only for controls and to avoid spending thousands replacing an instrument.

About two years later, one of the IT stuff UPS had an issue and they sent over IT to the site to reconfigure. The first words out of his mouth were "Can you get me an XP laptop so I can use hyperterminal?". I couldn't stop smiling for days thinking of how good it felt to reply to that email from years prior saying that I cannot provide the tools IT requires because IT policies are in place to prevent me to do it.