Spring clamp vs. screw type terminal blocks

I used to use Wago but recently swapped to Weidmueller A3C. I find the Weidmueller are better.

images

403725.jpg

The Weidmueller are nice and smooth, no sharp edges. Also, if you use 3 pole terminal and ground blocks, everything is nice and uniform in size. From what I remember, you couldnt get fuse blocks and terminal blocks that were the exact same size with Wago.

I used to use Wago but recently swapped to Weidmueller A3C. I find the Weidmueller are better.

images

403725.jpg

The Weidmueller are nice and smooth, no sharp edges. Also, if you use 3 pole terminal and ground blocks, everything is nice and uniform in size. From what I remember, you couldnt get fuse blocks and terminal blocks that were the exact same size with Wago.
Oh really hmmm I was just about to Swtich to Wago Push Buttons from Allen Bradley Cage Clamps (I think I heard Weidmueller makes them)

I will have to check them out

I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.

I always thought it would be cool if the screw type terminals had some sort of transparent window, that would let you see if the wire is actually fully inserted.

Meh. Strip the wire to the correct length, bend it approximately 90 degrees and insert the wire into the terminal cage. Hold it there while tightening the screw.

It will be fully inserted and you won't insert the insulation into the cage. It's not really that complicated.

Oh really hmmm I was just about to Swtich to Wago Push Buttons from Allen Bradley Cage Clamps (I think I heard Weidmueller makes them)

I will have to check them out

This is my local rep. Feel free to contact him. Not sure if he would cover your region but I am sure he can put you in touch with the right person if not. He is an extremely nice guy and one of the few that actually follows up when he says he will.

Brian Ledet Weidmüller Inc.
Field Sales Engineer
Cell: 504.655.7014
Customer Service:800.849.9343
Email: [email protected]

This is my local rep. Feel free to contact him. Not sure if he would cover your region but I am sure he can put you in touch with the right person if not. He is an extremely nice guy and one of the few that actually follows up when he says he will.

Brian Ledet Weidmüller Inc.
Field Sales Engineer
Cell: 504.655.7014
Customer Service:800.849.9343
Email: [email protected]
thanks will do

Prior to the junky IEC style terminals popular today, we always used NEMA terminals that had larger screws and had more visibility. You could actually see if the wire was landed correctly. Alas, that ship sailed years ago.

I've just completed an installation for a customer whose connector spec is Wago for all; low level signals and power, which in this case includes pumps up to 7.5kW. The Wago rep informed me that spring & cage clamp are all they make and that I should have no concerns about power wiring through these types. But... my underlying worry is the (as I see it) minimal surface area contact created when using ferrules with clamps, vs the full-width spread of strands in the same place. I've always seen this as the perfect location for a high res point in a power circuit and have always used screw types for all power connections. I do agree though, that uninformed/unintelligent tool-wielders can totally wreck the cage clamp types or leave them damaged and waiting to fail at the slightest poke.

DairyBoy, it will be OK.
The cage clamp spring will apply pressure to one side of the ferrule, and there will be a large contact area on the other side of the ferrule.
We use cage clamps up to 4mm² with no problems at all.
In the past we have used even larger cage clamps, but the problem is that the force needed to insert the screwdriver for opening them gets excessive. So we have dropped that. Instead we connect directly on the motor starters - which for the smaller sizes are also cage clamps.

I've just completed an installation for a customer whose connector spec is Wago for all; low level signals and power, which in this case includes pumps up to 7.5kW. The Wago rep informed me that spring & cage clamp are all they make and that I should have no concerns about power wiring through these types. But... my underlying worry is the (as I see it) minimal surface area contact created when using ferrules with clamps, vs the full-width spread of strands in the same place. I've always seen this as the perfect location for a high res point in a power circuit and have always used screw types for all power connections. I do agree though, that uninformed/unintelligent tool-wielders can totally wreck the cage clamp types or leave them damaged and waiting to fail at the slightest poke.

If you are using ferrules in cage clamp style terminals I would highly recommend using a square pattern ferrule crimper vs. octagonal. This increases the contact area between the ferrule and spring clamp surfaces by at least 2.5 times.
My 2 cent.