S7 1200 memory cards (MMC)

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is there anything special about the 1200 MMC?

It maybe an error from my supplier but I got a quote today for a 2gb card (6ES7954-8LP01-0AA0) it cost more then the CPU $596.98 ... can I use any compact flash?

2GB is way over kill but it jump from 2MB to 2GB in the part numbers

Thank you!

cant help you . but the MMC cards have a 'Siemens format' and of course they are making their money with hardware instead of software like AB

Yes that silly silly price is right and you can't use a standard card because they don't work without the special Siemens files and Serial Number. I can understand them wanting a high quality card if you want to use it as a program card that the program runs from, but I can't understand the issue with a transfer card. I can help with some part numbers:

SIMATIC MC 2 MB 6ES7 954-8LB01-0AA0
SIMATIC MC 12 MB 6ES7 954-8LE01-0AA0
SIMATIC MC 24 MB 6ES7 954-8LF01-0AA0

I must have a play and see if I can partition a large card down to 24MB and then do a bit copy, as I have seen discussed for the older Siemens cards.

personally after working in the Auto industry, durng my apprenticeship, I know that here is not much difference between manufacturers .
I would think that the main difference is the formatting not the manufacture.
I have seen parts labelled and stuck into rebranded boxes.
It may be that Siemens are fully German Engineered. but VIPA is produced by former Siemens Engineers - so.....
Who Knows.
We also Know that Siemens Clones are being made in China.

Is there anything special about the 1200 MMC?

It maybe an error from my supplier but I got a quote today for a 2gb card (6ES7954-8LP01-0AA0) it cost more then the CPU $596.98 ... can I use any compact flash?

2GB is way over kill but it jump from 2MB to 2GB in the part numbers

Thank you!

Mark

2 gig mmc for 1200?
Something doesn't sound right
Tell G Fanning you want a better price. :)

Thanks for the answers guy's... I think I will price out the smaller one's to see if I can save some money that way

This is for machine that is going down to Mexico that is normally AB ControlLogix and a PV+ that they are going to convert over to a 1200 with a KTP600, everything else that I price out for my customer looks great, this should save them $1000's by changing to Siemens, but when the flash card is almost the same price as the touch screen it just does not look right

Thanks again!! 🍺

OK, so I used Paragon Partition Manager and first deleted all partitions on a new SD card. The I went to Advanced / Partitioning and choose Copy Partition, I copied the exisiting SD card partition on to the new card and ended up with a functioning Transfer Card. My reason for doing this is because I don't like carrying around a thing the size of a stamp that costs £250.00. I wouldn't use it as a program card but am happy to try it as a Transfer card.

OK, so I used Paragon Partition Manager and first deleted all partitions on a new SD card. The I went to Advanced / Partitioning and choose Copy Partition, I copied the exisiting SD card partition on to the new card and ended up with a functioning Transfer Card. My reason for doing this is because I don't like carrying around a thing the size of a stamp that costs £250.00. I wouldn't use it as a program card but am happy to try it as a Transfer card.

Hello BryanG. Can you upload the partition as an iso image, or something similar? I have a 1200 Siemens PLC with a forgotten password, and I need an empty Siemens transfer SD card. The thing is that I don't wan't to buy the expensive SD card from Siemens, and also, I don't wan't to "lose" the PLC . Please help. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1200 Siemens PLC with a forgotten password, and I need an empty Siemens transfer SD card. The thing is that I don't wan't to buy the expensive SD card from Siemens, and also, I don't wan't to "lose" the PLC .
The 4MB card is not expensive at all, and you should always have a few spare cards.

GiT, I am curious what you need a 2GB card for.
I think that you will never need anything bigger than the 4MB card for an S7-1200 as long as you dont log a lot of data to the card.
To update the firmware via an SMC card, you need a 24MB card. And if the S7-1200 has firmware 3 or higher it can update newer firmware versions via the webserver, so no SMC card needed at all.

I think that the 2GB card is for when you have S7-1500 and a very big project, or you need to log a lot of data to the card.

In my first test I had two card readers and just used Paragon to copy the partition from one to the other. I have done some more experimenting with Paragon and though I can backup an image of the partition I can't restore it. I think it is more a problem with Paragon than a fundamental issue.

At the moment my card is in a PLC during some testing, and so isn't available. Even when the testing is finished I wouldn't be happy uploading a copy of the card. I am not trying to stop Siemens making a profit, I am trying to protect my investment from accidental damage. Also the copy process means that the duplicate ends up with the same serial number as the original. As Jesper says a 2MB card is not that expensive.

I have had a try at clearing a Password protected PLC, and you have a problem that you can't clear the PLC until it is stopped but you can't stop it without the Password. I did notice one thing I haven't tried yet, clicking on MRES, I can't try it at the moment because of ongoing testing but it might be worth a try.

GiT, I am curious what you need a 2GB card for.

Went with the 24MB, $252.00 USD better but still a lot for a flash card

I first went with the 2GB just because... I thought 50 maybe 75 dollars the best thing was to get the largest one just in case its needed, no idea the cost was that high

To all... thanks for the help and answers 🍺

geniusintraining said:
Went with the 24MB, $252.00 USD better but still a lot for a flash card
It's all relative. I still think the 4MB card would have been enough, but i would also have taken the bigger card for my first project.

This thread had me go through old price lists, just out of pure curisosity.
A 'normal' MMC card for S7-300 is for example the 512kB card for approx. 200 €.
Before that, a 'normal' MC card for S7-400 was for example the 256kB card for approx. 350 €.
Before that, a 'normal' Memory Module for SLC500 was for example the 32kW module for approx. 200 €.
Before that, a 'normal' EEPROM Module for PLC5 was for example the 64kW module for approx. 1000 €.
Before that, a 'normal' EPROM Module for S5 was for example the 64kB module for approx. 700 €.

The S5 EPROMs makes me remember the ticking from the UV-eraser and the smell of ozone. And sometimes you forgot to remove the little sticker over the UV window so you had to erase again for an hour or so. Thats when you had time to sit down and read the days faxes. (wipes nostalgic tear from eye).

Anyone who could share a dump of a 2MB SMC (6ES7954-8LC02-0AA0)?
I got a password protected s7-1200 and no siemens sd card ...

thanks in advance!!