Panelview Component to Compactlogix Ethernet

Tim James

I have studied the Allen Bradley literature and searched through the forums and I am getting conflicting information. On one hand, it would appear that the Panelview Component line of screens (specifically a C400 in my case) are not capable of ethernet communications with compactlogix/controllogix PLCs (have to use serial). On the other hand allen bradley states in the panelview manual that a 2711P- CBL-EX04 (ethernet crossover cable) should be used for a direct runtime connection between compactlogix controllers and component series HMIs. So what gives?

I've tried every configuration I can think of to get a C400 panelview talking with a compactlogix controller. I already have the data mapped out into N7 and F8 arrays, I just can't get the things talking. I could run them both into a swtich, and hook up to either one of them on my laptop, but they won't communicate to each other. Obviously, ip addresses and subnet masks are good. I feel like I am either missing something very obvious, or that this task is actually impossible. Any advice? Thanks.

It seems ridiculous that communication with a compactlogix controller would be impossible since Allen Bradley lists about 3 dozen controllers from other manufacturers that have ethernet communication protocol settings built into the panelview component configuration screen.

RA specifically and designed and built these for use with MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers and specifically NOT for use with ControlLogix or CompactLogix.

This is #1 on every single presentation and technical FAQ I've ever seen on the product.

That being said, I know there's one on my shop floor right now connected over Ethernet with a CompactLogix 1769-L35E. It's not mine; I'm not sure how he has it configured.

Did you use the "Map PLC/SLC Data Tables" feature to associate your Integer array tags and Real array tags with the appropriate SLC-style data table numbers ?

I don't see a specific tool or feature called "Map PLC/SLC Data Tables" in the Panelview Component controller configuration or tag menus. I basically use these integer/float arrays whenever I'm using one of these smaller, less capable panels, with a compact or controllogix controller. I'm not sure if the formatting is identical to SLC data tables, but I know it's similar. My arrays may be too long, although I feel like in SLC you can go to 255 16 bit words? Forgive me, but I 'grew-up' on Micro/Control/CompactLogix platforms, so I'm not very familiar with SLC. If there is a formatting tool to 'associate' these arrays so they are identical to a SLC-style data table (I have already tried the SLC/PLC-5 communication protocol under ethernet and it failed to communicate with the controller), would you please point me in the right direction?.

I appreciate the help.

I was referring to the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" feature under the Logic top level menu in RSLogix 5000.

What this does (in theory) is allow the CompactLogix controller to emulate a PLC/SLC/MicroLogix typed data table by using an equivalent Array tag.

The array tag could be "HMIData[x]", and if it's associated with Data File 7, then a request for "N7:4" will return the value in "HMIData[4]".

Just naming an array to be similar to a PLC/SLC/MicroLogix data table doesn't have any effect: "N7[x]" will not equal "N7:x" unless the Map PLC/SLC Messages table is filled out.

The array tags need to be exactly the same data type as what they are emulating; for Integer and Binary data tables, they must be INT[x], not DINT or SINT. For Floating Point, they need to be REAL[x].

This is the way that the PanelView Component talks to the CompactLogix over a serial connection.

While I've never found any A-B literature that says you can do the same over Ethernet, I'm looking right at the machine in my shop that's built to do it. I'm going to ask the guy how he set that up.

I am used to doing what you are describing. I have set up compactlogix controllers to communicate with older standard panelviews over rs232, but I never have used this mapping feature. This is why I built these arrays in this program, because I assumed the component PV would need mapped data files as well. So in that regard, I think I am on the right track, although maybe I don't have it quite right. I have a mapped array set up as INT[x] and REAL[x] in the controller, but when I set the PV component to use SLC/PLC5 ethernet protocol, it is kicking back error messages accessing these tags. I will look at the mapping feature in logix5k and see if it generates something different than what I have set up manually. Thanks.

Last edited:
I know for sure that there are only 2 way to comunicate PV component with Compact.
1. DF1 try with SLC 500 Fix it I/O or some of SLC 5/
2. Etherther Driver with SLC 500 Fix it I/O or some of SLC 5/

On either case remember to put the same name on the Tags controller name. That is very commun issues, because when you change your driver controller name you must change it manually on the tags controller name.

Well after using the mapping tool in rslogix5k I ended up with data files that looked identical to what I already had but I went ahead and tried communicating with the PV component and got the same error messages, communication flag error which in my experience means it is still not recognizing the tags. It seems to be establishing communication with the PLC.

I do know my tag controller name matches what is in the communications configuration. The only controller options under ethernet are SLC 5/05 and PLC-5, there is no SLC 500 fixed I/O. I have tried both controller types with no success.

There are settings for write optimization, timing, and slot configuration that I have not messed with. I have just set the PLC's IP and set the protocol to tcp/ip. The port is set automatically to 2222 and I see no reason that should need to be changed. Destination node address is 0 and request size is 512. I am wondering if my problem lies somewhere in these peripheral configurations settings.

Normally, over RS232, I use the DF1 protocol which works perfectly with my mapped N7 and F8 data files. I actually have been leaving the controller type on micrologix even though I'm communicating with a compactlogix.

Last edited:
I checked with the guy who built the PanelView Component -> CompactLogix Ethernet system I was looking at.

"Oh, yeah, we have to add a serial cable. It doesn't work through Ethernet. We've been running without the HMI."

So all the RA documents, and my initial recollections, are correct: the PanelView Component really only communicates with PLC-5. SLC-5/05, and MicroLogix controllers over Ethernet.

I know for sure that there are only 2 way to comunicate PV component with Compact.
1. DF1 try with SLC 500 Fix it I/O or some of SLC 5/
2. Etherther Driver with SLC 500 Fix it I/O or some of SLC 5/

So the general consensus seems to be that these PV Components simply will not communicate with CompactLogix over ethernet.

I am curious if gmondrax has any more input since he seemed to be saying that he knows for a fact that they can with the correct setup. Again, I have tried assigning the controller to a SLC 5/05 and using my SLC mapped data files, with not avail. And there is no SLC 500 Fixed I/O option under the ethernet protocol.

It sure seems like this should be possible unless AB just put up firewalls to prevent it from working which may very well be the case. Either way, unless there is someone who has done this and can offer their input, I think I'm going to just settle with DF1 over serial for now.

When the PanelView Component was released, I was still working for Rockwell Automation and the technical description we were given was very clear that the Component terminals were intentionally not able to communicate with ControlLogix over Ethernet.

I was hoping that I was incorrect because of the machine I'd seen wired up that way, but it turned out they had omitted the serial cable from the installation.

Thanks fr your help Ken, and everyone else. Hopefully this will help someone else out wasting their time trying to do the same thing. I understand the ploy by AB, if you're going to spend thousands of bucks on a compactlogix or even more on controllogix, surely you're willing to fork out the dough for a panelview plus. Unfortunately I program equipment that needs these PLCs but certainly doesn't need an expensive HMI since the HMIs are only touched during commissioning and about four times a year after that. Thank goodness for that serial port.

My complaint too. I use Compactlogix L43s for the motion commands. I don't need a complicated HMI either.
IMHO Rockwell dropped the ball by silver series the Panelview line too soon.
I will try a C-more on my next machine.