writing an hmi from scratch using VB

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone have any experience doing this?
Is this too much of an undertaking to consider?
What are the biggest hurdles?
My guesses of the biggest hurdles:
SSL email, text message api
alarm history
modbus tcp driver

Lots and lots of machine tool manufacturers us VB for the operator interface, but those controls are usually all PC based.

So, to answer your question it depends. If you had a giant production line I’d say you’d be reinventing the wheel. If you had a stand alone machine I’d say go for it.

The answer to your question is me
I have completed quit a few VB and Net Studio HMI's
i actually prefer it. It's far more flexible
the attached is a main screen done completely in Net Studio

CRC Main.jpg

The cost/time of making an HMI from scratch is probably not worth it.
I have done this for a company for a standard piece of plant but it got a bit too much regarding protocols for different PLC's depending on customers requirements etc. after all, why re-invent the wheel.

The answer to your question is me
I have completed quit a few VB and Net Studio HMI's
i actually prefer it. It's far more flexible
the attached is a main screen done completely in Net Studio

is this vb forms??
Did you design your own driver for communication?
I would like to play with this and have so experience in vb studio

OT but related

OT

I have read that VB (Visual Basic) is approaching end of life. Do the various VB-using technologies (FT, AdvancedHMI, etc.) have a migration plan e.g. Visual C/C++ or Visual C#?

Last edited:
VB was rolled into Net Studio some time back
Net Studio is what Rockwell used to create Logix5000 and Panel View
Many other applications are created using it.
the one shown on the earlier post is actually Net Studio
i would venture to say the base program for most of the HMI programs is Net Studio
so don't think it's going where

According to Paul Thurrott's article (link) ...
Microsoft is not killing vb.net, but will not develop any new features or evolve the language.

According to Paul Thurrott's article (link) ...
Microsoft is not killing vb.net, but will not develop any new features or evolve the language.

Yes, I overstated the case. I found one article that quoted VB (VB6?) as "the ****roach that can't be killed."