RSLinx Classic Lite vs RSLinx Classic

neerajpuranik

What is the difference between these two?
I have RSLinx lassic lite, PM02 cable & ML1500 processor. Will I be able to communicate (upload & download ) with the ML1500 processor or I need RSLinx classic for that?

Yes, RSLinx Lite and RSLogix500 is all you need to upload/download and monitor.
There is no such thing as just RSLinx Classic ( many versions). There is see PDF.

Last edited:
Will I be able to communicate (upload & download ) with the ML1500 processor...?
Yes, You will be able to program and communicate with your PLC and upload/download programs and view your data files online using RSLogix and RSlinx lite.

edit: I see I need to type a little faster.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
Yes, RSLinx Lite and RSLogix500 is all you need to upload/download and monitor.
There is no such thing as just RSLinx Classic ( many versions). There is see PDF.

There is a such thing as RSLinx Classic. That's what A-B now calls all of the many versions of the "regular" (not RSLinx Enterprise) RSLinx.
The document that you posted was from 2005, before they made the naming change.

jimbo3123 said:
There is a such thing as RSLinx Classic. That's what A-B now calls all of the many versions of the "regular" (not RSLinx Enterprise) RSLinx.
The document that you posted was from 2005, before they made the naming change.

I'll say it again "there is no such thing as "JUST RSLinx Classic"
There is as ( as SLC_Integrator said) RSlinx Classic Lite, RSLinx Classic OEM, RSLinx Classic Pro, RSLinx Classic Gateway, RSlinx Classic Single Node, RSlinx Classic SDK etc.
Its important to know what version. Whenever someone ask "can I do this and that with RSLinx Classic?", the response is always "what version do you have?".

Last edited:
A little OT but....

I don't think there is any thing different at all, if you compare the size of the file (or CD) with Lite, PRO or OEM they are all the same, when you load the key that determines what feature(s) are enabled. If you don't load a key at all it defaults to lite.

So no difference but the key is different :)

Gateway and others may not be the same

SLC_Integrator said:
I dont think Lite has the OPC stuff in it.

Classic certainly does.
Dear SLC_Integrator,
I hope you will pardon my ignorance. Pls tell me in detail what does this OPC stuff means. Is it a part of SCADA like trending, graph etc or something else. If there is a manual pls give me the link too.
Thanks,
Neeraj

I recall at one time RSLinx Lite (linx without the activation )would not allow DH+ communications via a 1784-PKTX(D) card. Is this still the case?

I don't believe so...

I've got a desktop pc being used by maint. that has had a pktxd card in it for a few years. One channel is set for DH+ and the other is RS-485.

Mike

Neeraj, OPC allows you to do things like display/modify values in addresses in your PLC using applications such as Excel... or even do custom HMI with VB or the like. So yes, it is "part of" SCADA. You must have some sort of OPC server to do this with the right driver for the PLC you are using. AB provides one with RSLinx. Go here for more info...

http://www.opcfoundation.org

jedft said:
Neeraj, OPC allows you to do things like display/modify values in addresses in your PLC using applications such as Excel... or even do custom HMI with VB or the like. So yes, it is "part of" SCADA. You must have some sort of OPC server to do this with the right driver for the PLC you are using. AB provides one with RSLinx. Go here for more info...

http://www.opcfoundation.org

What he said 🍻

Note: There is actually 3 subsets in OPC now, OPC-DA (data aquisition) OPC-AE (Alarms & Events) and OPC-HDA (Historical Data Aquisition)