View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #7
CaseyK
United States

Location: In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town, a few miles beyond the boondocks.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenges
Good one. That is probably more typical of what they will be doing on a daily basis if they are doing machine maintenance or testing. Keith
I didn't think I had a good understanding of circuitry and troubleshooting when I was young. I had been designing cookie cutter control panels and switchgear for CAT engines and generator sets. Mostly redrawing the same thing over and over, add a light or an alarm, maybe an oil pressure timing circuit, or something. 95% of the orders were basic stuph, and the 5% that I worked on were nothing like they have today. None of the really fancy stuph like BobB and others play with.

I went and interviewed for an electricians job, after a year on the drawing board. After a few minutes of chit chat (my father had built the guys house, my grandmother once lived next door to him, he had two daughters...err, nevermind), anyway, he pulls out a large machine schematic. Starts asking questons.

When this light is on, and the motor doesn't run, WHY?

Motor runs, this light isn't on, what's wrong?

Push this button, everything goes off, what could be wrong?

After a half hour of this, I felt pretty confident about my abilities. Never went to work there, they had 1300 people then, (1973), and today are down to 135. And they are closing this year. Oh well, I had more fun elsewhere, and a lot cleaner environment, TOO!

I always like it when you get a shop tour! sometimes they will ask questions when you are doe, what you saw that could be changed. Sometimes it is a test. A few times, they were after free advice, and there was no job. Oh well.

Asking what someone has done is a good idea. Then, asking "How
did you do it".