View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM   #11
CaseyK
United States

Location: In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town, a few miles beyond the boondocks.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by john paley
NOBODY aced this test. The average score of all applicants was about 60%. It was hard. That's the way we wanted it. We told the applicants that they weren't supposed to ace it.
That might be a good approach. Perhaps with the addition of Post Office Scoring, number of right minus number of wrong. A high score means a very good apptitude. A lower score might not rule someone out, that if they weren't 110% sure, they might get more info then going into it blind.

The RTD question is good. After twenty years of controls, switchger, and general engineering, along with maintenance work, I stumbled across my first RTD at GE. None of the engineers there could give me a real clear understanding. Just that it was in the auto-transformers, most were bad, and you had a heck of a time checking it with a vom.

I have aced a lot of the tests at some plants. I also felt that they probably had little to do with anything that went on in the plant. I also see a lot of test with transistor questions. I haven't seen a lot of industrial sparky's, or plc techs, pulling a transistor out and replacing it. This may be a regional thing, just not done around here. I did for a long period of time in Peoria, but the electricians and the electronics techs were two seperate departments, different buildings, and two completely different divisions. The seven electricians that I had in my area of the tire plant, only three would have had the ambition to pull a transistor, and maybe two could have done it successfully.

I do not think that a mail order test is a good idea.

If you have 240 open delta wiring, make sure they understand the wild leg. I have seen a lot of old timers not get it. Along with the difference between wye-delta. Some plants have 480 wye in some areas, and 3 wire delta, with one phase grounded. A lot of strange problems arise there.

Back to the original problem.

If they understand plc's really well, they can probably pick up the different styles of programming. Do you guys have any training package for your particular software, or does your distributor have any classes for them?