Ethernet Flex I/O with SLC 5/05

The Plc Kid

Can ethernet flex i/o be connected to a slc 5/05 for a non critical application? This will just be outputs to a old panel.

I know that slc ethernet is really not for i/o control but will it work just for this?

Anything special on the setup?

If you figure out how to make it work, please don't post it here.

Why? We have a sister plant who bought some machinery with a 5/05 connected through an unmanaged switch to 3 PV+ HMIs and 11 (yes ELEVEN) Powerflex 40 drives with messaging for start/stop and speed, and zero (yes, zero) hardwired control.

I doubt they would have been sold such a p.o.s. except that the information for incorrectly using the SLC in such a manner is so easy to find.

Of course it runs like a turd and now I will probably get recruited to fix it...so, please don't encourage any more control of real I/O over ethernet with the 5/05.

Thanks,
Paul

If you figure out how to make it work, please don't post it here.

Why? We have a sister plant who bought some machinery with a 5/05 connected through an unmanaged switch to 3 PV+ HMIs and 11 (yes ELEVEN) Powerflex 40 drives with messaging for start/stop and speed, and zero (yes, zero) hardwired control.

I doubt they would have been sold such a p.o.s. except that the information for incorrectly using the SLC in such a manner is so easy to find.

Of course it runs like a turd and now I will probably get recruited to fix it...so, please don't encourage any more control of real I/O over ethernet with the 5/05.

Thanks,
Paul

Well put....I concur..had the same thing twice...The ethernet is part of the program scan so it services the ethernet port once every scan OK with 2 or 3 devices. Hook it up to your network and or use 10 or 15 other IP devices and watch the clock while you try to execute push buttons, turn off motors, ect. ...Big Turd..

I agree, it's a slippery slope. I've given the standard warning lecture about performance and MSG interlocking and scalability again and again and the programmers still seem amazed when my predictions come true. I can't even play dumb about it because there's a technote out there with my name on it that gives performance data and example code for five PowerFlex 40's, which I did for a customer who had ignored my pleading not to use this method.

You could perform this unsupported mechanism with the CIP Generic message type and some exploration of the CIP Assembly Object.

I would only do this if I had a normally closed relay output with a COMM FAULT indicator so that users would know not to trust the I/O in that panel. And if I'd already bought the I/O. And if I could put my boss's name on the drawing. And I was about to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Ken I thought you where already in the witness protection program. PLC kid how many points do you need?

Ken

Is the technote you mentioned in the RA Knowledgebase? If it is, what is the article number? I would be interested in reading it.

I agree with Bruce, but I guess it depends on whether you already have a 1746-SN in the chassis, or a free slot in which to install one. Good 'ole RIO works great with the SLC, and it's deterministic, simple to set up and troubleshoot, etc.

System is 5/05 with expansion rack and all slots are used with discrete,and spectrum universal I/O modules.

No room for another chasis in the cabinet. The annunciator panel is about 2500 feet away and is just 14 pilot lights. Just trying not to run hard wiring that far and trying not to redo the system.

They just want to add this second annunciator panel.

Toss in a Micrologix with built in Ethernet out in the cabinet, & message back & forth. Simple, easy to configure, & easy to follow.

Who wants simple ;-)
we need to do it the hard way.
I have a list of stupid things I have done and don't want to do again.