No connection with Ultra 100 Series Drive

Pumba

Hello,

We have just changed a servo motor and need to go online with a Ultra 100 Series Drive. We are BRU Master to do this, and we are greeted with a message saying something along the lines of "The communications port cannot be opened. It is probably being used by another application or the mouse." This is what pops up as soon as the program is opened. Rather than connecting automatically like usual. No other COM ports are being used.

Thank you.

Is it trying to use COM1? A USB mouse will most often be a higher COM port number. If you have RSLogix and RSLinx installed on the same computer, check to make sure RSLinx has relinquished the port. Even when you aren't running RSLogix, RSLinx may be keeping it for when you do.

Hello,

We have just changed a servo motor and need to go online with a Ultra 100 Series Drive. We are BRU Master to do this, and we are greeted with a message saying something along the lines of "The communications port cannot be opened. It is probably being used by another application or the mouse." This is what pops up as soon as the program is opened. Rather than connecting automatically like usual. No other COM ports are being used.

Thank you.

I have Ultra100 drives in my CNC machine and they always give me trouble with serial. I use AB UltraMaster. I am always getting what I assume is the same fault, under AB terminology. I have to uninstall/reinstall my COM port several times until it works, and then it only works for a little while. I thought the problem is just my buggy laptop, but maybe there is more to it.

Also with those drives, you need to have the serial connected to it when you power the drive on. It looks for serial connection on power-up, and if it finds none, the serial port sort of "turns off" (sometimes).

Make sure you also didn't configure a DH485 driver for that COM port at some point in the past. In some older operating systems (Windows 2000, if I recall correctly), the swapped-in COM port driver for DH485 would prevent other software from using the port until you did something that swapped the driver back, like using Interchange or RSLinx to run a DF1 driver on the same port.

Also be sure you're using the exact correct cable; my recollection is that the Ultra cables have RTS/CTS jumpers.

Had to switch between COM ports until the drive wanted to attach.

Thank you all for the input!