siemens LOGO! 230rl pinouts

spgr8

hi guys. i am interested in learning plc programming, so i acquired an old siemens logo! 230rl with its software (logosoft). i was told that i could program it through the keypad, but i cant. it just says "no program" in the plc's display. someone then told me the internal battery was flat, so i could only program it through a cable. i contacted siemens south africa, and they told me the plc was discontinued, so they could not help me with a cable. i don't have the money to buy a new plc just to learn on, so could anyone help me with schematics to build an interface? i do have electronics experience, but i am not familiar with the chips used in the plc, so i don't even know which interface will work. any help will be appreciated.

That puzzles me! The cable is still available, as is the LOGO!230RL. Maybe it's only been replaced with a newer version.

You can order the cable with reference 6ED1057-1AA00-0BA0 from Siemens. I don't think the pinout will help you any further. Siemens has a reputation for protecting everything they bring to the market. I would surely be surprosed if this cable was just a cable and not a converter of some kind.

Kind regards,

Firstly, the LOGO is not strictly speaking a plc but more a relay/timer replacement module that has a limited programming functionality. Jean Pierre is correct in that it will have been replaced by a newer model but still essentially the same. You CAN program it from the front panel but I would not recommend this for large programs as it can quickly become complicated to remember where you are in your program. To access program mode you need to press three buttons at the same time. Right and Left cursor keys and OK key, then select PROGRAM etc.
If you can get a cable then combined with the new Comfort software(free download of Trial version) it is much easier to program.
Good luck.

The cheepest way is to by a starter package! it uncludes a LOGO, a cable, the software and a manual!
There are 2 versions available:

LOGO! News Box 12/24 RC (with -0BA3 LOGO!)
ref.: 6ED1057-3BA00-0BA2
price: 155,00

LOGO! News Box 230 V (with -0BA3 LOGO!)
ref.: 6ED1057-3AA00-0BA7
price: 155,00

Regarding programing by the keypad

This works for the old LOGO! 230R i have ( 6ED1 052-1FA00-0BA0 )
Press both the sideways arrows AND the OK button simultaniously (thats 3 buttons at the same time, a tuff job ) U then get the option to:
start programming
transfering between the module and the memory chip
Start the program

Newer LOGO!'s have different ways to enter programming mode.
I'm replying because I remember myself sitting for hours trying different keykombinations :)
(How manny can there be, with 6 keys?: )

Regards
Remi

Logo programming cable pin out,
From a LOGO! 24R a 230 should be the same.
Adapter I made works fine, No DONGGLE is used...

LOGO unit is upright:
starting upper left pin as #1 (not labelled using convention)opposite side is #6, key is on right side of connector.
1-TTL in Rx Serial
2-Gnd
3-5 volts
4-SDA for card
5-SCL for card
6-TTL out Tx Serial

You will need TTL<->RS232 converter (ie MAX202) powered by pin 3 of LOGO.
Baud rate is 9600, 8bit, even HEX char.

ed

Hi to all

Can anyone post the schematic for the logo-pc cable?
What connector can be used for the logo side?
Thank you

LOGO Cable shematic

Do you have the shematic pin cable i dont speak good english sorry. I need the schematic to do cable for my logo siemens

Thank you

Can anyone post the schematic for the logo-pc cable?
What connector can be used for the logo side?
Thank you[/QUOTE]

Simulate

Hi,

If it is the intention to learn plc programming, I don't think to logo is the best choice to do so.
As far as I remember, can you not simulate your program in logosoft, before you download it?

A better way I think is to get a demo package from Siemens or other manufactors of plc products and test whatever you are writing into simulation mode. No hardware needed and ideal for your purposes.

Best Regards

A picture please!

ed said:
Logo programming cable pin out,
From a LOGO! 24R a 230 should be the same.
Adapter I made works fine, No DONGGLE is used...

LOGO unit is upright:
starting upper left pin as #1 (not labelled using convention)opposite side is #6, key is on right side of connector.
1-TTL in Rx Serial
2-Gnd
3-5 volts
4-SDA for card
5-SCL for card
6-TTL out Tx Serial

You will need TTL<->RS232 converter (ie MAX202) powered by pin 3 of LOGO.
Baud rate is 9600, 8bit, even HEX char.

ed

For what I read I understand that with the LOGO upright the pins are numbered this way:

1|6
2|5
3|4

Am I right?

Hi,

I would like to made a cable to connect my LOGO to my PC throught a DB9 or USB connector. But I need some more precision about the pinout.

Does the Pin 3 provides 5 volts or did it received it from the serial port of the PC ?

what should we do with pin 4 and 5 (SDA and SCL) ? Did they correspond to DB9 pinout ?

Here is a schema of what I understand :

Thanks for your help

Moute

Last edited:
Hi,

I would like to made a cable to connect my LOGO to my PC throught a DB9 or USB connector. But I need some more precision about the pinout.

Does the Pin 3 provides 5 volts or did it received it from the serial port of the PC ?

what should we do with pin 4 and 5 (SDA and SCL) ? Did they correspond to DB9 pinout ?

Here is a schema of what I understand :

Thanks for your help

Moute
Moute, you got it right, your schematic is correct according to what's been said in this thread.

The SDA and SCL pins are used to comunicate with the memory cards via the SPI protocol.

The pin3 provides 5V.

Sadly, I have tried that and it didn't worked for me, maybe 'cause I'm using a USB->RS232 dongle.

I have also tried with opto-isolators as its shown in http://www.technick.net/public/code...ode=top&topid=1199&forid=1&catid=1&noupstat=1 with no success.

Maybe SIEMENS has updated the port or there is need to pull up or down SDA or SCL in order to make the LOGO detect the serial cable and enter in LOGO<->PC mode.

I'm trying with a 6ED1 052-1MD00-0BA5 most known as a LOGO! 12/24 RC.

That puzzles me! The cable is still available, as is the LOGO!230RL. Maybe it's only been replaced with a newer version.

You can order the cable with reference 6ED1057-1AA00-0BA0 from Siemens. I don't think the pinout will help you any further. Siemens has a reputation for protecting everything they bring to the market. I would surely be surprosed if this cable was just a cable and not a converter of some kind.

Kind regards,

Salam,

don't trouble your self finnaly I made teh right siemens logo cable.

it's 100% working
I attached the original one and teh homemade one

enjoy programming!

Copie de LogoCable.jpg LOGO-Stecker.jpg