burning smell from plc panel

Rahul3005

I am using a Micrologix 1400 with 5 IO cards and i have done all Input and Output Connections properly,But when i Powered up the Panel for the very first time,a burning like smell was coming from panel ?
what may be the issue ?
There was no smoke visible and plc and all cards are working properly ?

I am using a Micrologix 1400 with 5 IO cards and i have done all Input and Output Connections properly,But when i Powered up the Panel for the very first time,a burning like smell was coming from panel ?
what may be the issue ?
There was no smoke visible and plc and all cards are working properly ?

My first thought is disconnect everything except the PLC power supply and make sure it powers up fine and that smell is or is not there. Then decide based on the result what to do next. If the smell was there and the PLC stayed good and it was just paranoia then power down and start connecting wires again. If the PLC craps out out or goes up in flame then you have decided if it was defective to start with or your wiring did it and finally if the PLC works fine and there was no smell then it has to be wiring.
But I would never just power it again the way it is no matter how confident I am of my wiring. I've been wrong way too often to do that.

Last edited:
This is off topic, but I experienced a burning, kinda an electric smell today. I immediately turned off the electric heater in my office thinking that might be the issue, Nope! Next few seconds my right arm got bit... Looked at my insulated flannel shirt and it was smoldering. Picked up a spark from someone flicking the end off a cigarette.

Not sure if it is Related but worth checking. Every time I smell a fire on a new panel it is usually caused by someone wiring 120Vac to a 24VDC circuit or 24VDC to a 24VAC circuit. 9 out of 10 someone put 120VAC to a 24VDC card..

Rahul:
This happened to me several years ago, I forgot to take out that paper cover that is located on top of plc´s cpu, plc has no ventilation after taking it out that smell disappeared.