Trying to program a 1761-NET-ENI

Patrick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok. A long time ago I had a similar problem that drove me up the wall. The answer was right in front of me, but I couldn’t see it. The problem was programming my first DH+ message. I just new I had to have a command at the other end. Yes I read several times that the address had to be available. But I just couldn’t see it tell someone call my attention to it. Now I think I have the same problem.

Trying to program a 1761-NET-ENI. Let me back up. A new control cabinet came in to replace an out dated cabinet. It has a MicroLogix 1500 a NET-ENI and a panelview plus 600. The program for the MicroLogix has no documentation. The panelview plus program is a mer. not APA. I have never programmed a NET-ENI. And this is the second panelview plus that I have seen, and the first I have program.

I have the ENI/ENIW Utility. I can change the Ethernet address. How do I set the RS232 address? I see all kinds of examples in the utility manual. But I an not sending any messages.

It is late. I’m tired and confused. I hope it is something as simple as the DH+ problem was.

I'm not totally clear on what your question is.

The 1761-NET-ENI's usual function is to take incoming EtherNet/IP messages and translate them into DF1 format on the RS232 port.

The RS232 port needs very little configuration; you just set up the serial framing (speed, data bits, stop bits, parity) and error checking mechanism, and plug it into a controller RS232 port with the same configuration.

What exactly is the problem that you are trying to solve ? Describe more about how each of these devices are connected to one another.

I can see how to program the Ethernet address. Where do I program the RS232 info? Is this program in the Utility Software?

By the way. Glad to see your back. May be i'm looking too hard at the problem.

Last edited:
I ought to look at the utility before posting my memory....

The first tab of the utility has a "232 Baud Rate" drop-down menu. The default is Auto (it will auto-detect the RS232 baud rate) or you can set it for a specific baud rate.

The framing (data bits, stop bits, parity, error checking) is non-settable with the 1761-NET-ENI. It uses the defaults that SLC and MicroLogix controllers use: 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, CRC Error Checking. Those are also the default settings of a MicroLogix 1500.

If the 1716-NET-ENI plugs into the Channel 0 port of the MicroLogix 1500 controller, you can leave the DF1 baud rate in the -NET-ENI on Auto, and press the "DCOMM" button on the MicroLogix 1500 and they will definitely communicate correctly over DF1 Full Duplex.

One thing that has been a gotcha for me is that the Net-ENI utility can sometimes run at a different serial rate than the
controller, which I think requires a power cycle of the Net-ENI in between disconnecting your PC and connecting the PLC.

As far as the PV+ is concerned, it will treat the MicroLogix 1500 as though it was an SLC-5/05.

Create a shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise (the comms driver inside RSView Studio, not RSLinx Classic that you use for everything else) and RSView Studio should easily browse the addresses of the MicroLogix.

As mention before I have the mer. file not the apa file.

As to the net-eni all I have to do is program the ethernet address and make sure that the 232 baud is set at auto then depress the dcomm button on the micrologix. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Yes, connecting the Net-ENI really is (usually) that simple.

So, there's this new cabinet. And there's this PV+, this MicroLogix, and this Net-ENI.

Are you being asked to add to or modify the PV+ ? I'm not sure from your post what about the system isn't working or needs to be changed. No need for a lengthy explanation here if it's not germane, I'm just curious.

The system can in brain dead. I was ask to load the programs and test it out. The micrologix is no problem. Just that the program has no documentaion to it. And the input output wiring does not match the print. As to the panelview plus I have not ever program one or set it up from sretch. On top of that, all I got was the mer. file not the apa file.