[TOOL] What version is this MER/APA anyway?

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Some of you may have noticed that I made a tool to determine what version a APA/MER was create in (V4, 5, 6, etc.). I originally hijacked robbo's thread as I worked worked this out, I thought it would be appropriate to make my own instead of continuing to post in his. Here is the original thread for reference

How it works: YOU MUST HAVE 7zip INSTALLED ON YOUR MACHINE FOR IT TO WORK. Basically I created a directory in your Documents folder called mer_ver. If everything goes as planned you will not see this directory for very long since I delete it when I'm done with it. Your MER/APA gets unzipped into this directory and I take a peak at a couple of files in order to determine the target version, original machines architecture (32bit/64bit) and whether the file was for ME or SE.

If you drag/drop a ACD file or an AutoCAD DWG, it will report what versions those were created in as well. This is something I did a few years ago so I tossed that in there as well.

I won't guarantee that it will work perfectly for everyone but it has worked fine for me and the limited testers I've had. The 32/64 bit thing was pretty unreliable, I made some changes for v1.3 and I think it should be pretty reliable now, at least with the files that I tested with. I think when it does report 32/64 bit it will be accurate (although you guys could convince me otherwise), it's just that sometimes it reports unknown.

Download

thanks! it worked for what I needed it to do.

I was able to determine the version a MER was from since I couldnt import from MER.

A bump because this tool just helped us walk into a dormant project and get a jump-start on the correct RA toolset for compatibility with the installed equipment.

Glad it helped everybody. I use it occasionally for not just MER/APA's but ACD's as well. If you're ever curious, you can open the ACD as a text file and see all the times that it was saved and what version it was, so you can see the whole version history of a file. Of course after that information becomes gibberish.

Heh, probably not. If you can send me a sample mer I'll update it when I get back from vacation. I still use 8.0. a 8.1 sample might be helpful too, assuming that is a thing

Heh, probably not. If you can send me a sample mer I'll update it when I get back from vacation. I still use 8.0. a 8.1 sample might be helpful too, assuming that is a thing

Not the .mer file but the .apa file from FTV SE Station. Yes we're at 8.2 currently. 8.1 exists too.

I posted an updated version. I didn't get a chance to try it so maybe I could convince one of you to give it a shot? Thanks Dravik and John!