Does Inhibiting a module stops the scanner from scanning

bornwild

Hello guys,

We a compact logix processor and one of the safety input modules 1734-IBS seems to be faulty as sometimes the module led turns red which causes a network fault. The inputs of the module are not used. Can I inhibit the module? Will it still cause the scanner to go in fault

I don't think you can disable any safety module
the communications to safety modules is handled differently the standard modules
if the communication is lost the safety controler will fault and turn off the safety controls
Think about it if a monitored safety input were to fai would you reall want the equipment to just keep running and hurt somebody

GaryS, I think you are right and I am wrong. The screenshot above is for a non-safety device. I just checked, the same screen for a safety device has the option "Major Fault On Controller..." greyed out.

To bornwild's answer, it should be possible to inhibit the safety device. Not sure if the fault in the PLC will not be genrated again once you clear the fault.

Hello guys,

We a compact logix processor and one of the safety input modules 1734-IBS seems to be faulty as sometimes the module led turns red which causes a network fault. The inputs of the module are not used. Can I inhibit the module? Will it still cause the scanner to go in fault

Be aware of this from the Knowledgebase as you work on that problem:

"ID: PN1590 Product Notice 2022-05-001 - Allen-Bradley POINT Guard I/O 1734-IB8S/B, 1734-IB8SK/B Intermittent Connection Fault"