OT. Whatsapp for the PC ?

Yes, that is right, I really didn't want WhatsApp on my phone, but my customers use it to help with their customer support. My way round it was to get a second phone, it gets switched off at night. And you can limit who can contact you via WhatsApp by limiting who is in your contact list on the phone.

If only this was the case I could live with it. I am tortured with Whatsapp calls from colleagues and customers abroad. All they need to do is find my contact details on teams and then call me on Whatsapp.

People can still contact you without being in your contact list.

I have gotten the OK from IT to have Skype for Business on the service peoples phones.
To me it is the simple solution that covers all my requirements.
We are using Skype for Business extensively anyway because of Covid.

The service people can call me without using expensive local phone fares.
I will be reachable whenever I am on my work PC. So if I have agreed to be available with a service guy outside office hours, I will simply power up my work PC when needed.

Now, I only have to get the service people to agree to this brilliant idea ...

I thought you could limit it that way, another reason why I wouldn't want WhatsApp on my main phone. Maybe it helped that my second phone had a fictitious name that nobody would associate with me and wasn't used anywhere else, and I never add a picture, or if I did it would be a stock picture off the internet. A little paranoia is a good thing. :)

Virtualize android on your PC with BlueStacks. Install Whatsapp in there. sign in to your virtual Android with a new/different Google account than your phone.

Whatsapp is not tied to any user id, is tied to your phone number. So if someone is texting your or calling you, you can block them.

I don't even think you can use a pc for calls, is only for messaging.

I would recommend Skype it can give you both voice and video calls
you an also set it to call land line numbers and you can get a local phone number for the areas you work in most
it can be setup on both your laptop or cell phone
it works great a lot cheaper than cell phone
i haven't tried it yet but they have a desktop shears add in

you an also set it to call land line numbers and you can get a local phone number for the areas you work in most
it can be setup on both your laptop or cell phone
it works great a lot cheaper than cell phone
i haven't tried it yet but they have a desktop shears add in

Only if you don't have skype business which teams replaced.

GaryS said:
I use this feature a lot. In particularly private international calls.

Only if you don't have skype business which teams replaced.
I have regular Skype in my VM, and Skype for Business on my host. So I have both !

I hope you ditch the Skype for business and go with Teams... or if your IT is not getting it yet for you, have them hurry with that. Skype for business is obsolete.

Its quite good and you can have it on your phone nicely too. Just set quiet hours like you want and it wont disturb you when you don't want to.

Not to plug an MS product, but Teams actually is very good for remote work and collaboration. We have been using it extensively this year, and the ability to connect people to Teams meetings externally (External to the company in a web browser) is very useful. I commissioned a machine 4,000kms away the other day through Teams audio, video and screen control.

Day to day, the other half of our company is overseas, so Teams is a go to for meetings, design reviews, support and general communication.

We have been using it extensively this year, and the ability to connect people to Teams meetings externally (External to the company in a web browser) is very useful.
Skype for Business can also do that, but I agree that it is a nuisance that we are using the older Skype while most others uses the newer Teams.

Not to plug an MS product, but Teams actually is very good for remote work and collaboration. We have been using it extensively this year, and the ability to connect people to Teams meetings externally (External to the company in a web browser) is very useful. I commissioned a machine 4,000kms away the other day through Teams audio, video and screen control.

Day to day, the other half of our company is overseas, so Teams is a go to for meetings, design reviews, support and general communication.

Another vote for Teams. Had to help a customer in Paraguay, just yesterday. The customer was at the machine showing me how he had wired it wrong and I was playing charades trying to show him the correct wiring. Language barrier :rolleyes:

Now if there is an app out there which can automatically translate at the same time (y)

Another vote for Teams. Had to help a customer in Paraguay, just yesterday. The customer was at the machine showing me how he had wired it wrong and I was playing charades trying to show him the correct wiring. Language barrier :rolleyes:

Now if there is an app out there which can automatically translate at the same time (y)

Check this out for that sorta situation.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/augmented-reality/

Back
Top Bottom