Productivity 2000 Heating circuit issue

Clutchbone

I am looking for a little help on getting my heater to turn on with my Productivity 2000 unit, I am using the P2-08THM card for the T/C and a P2-16DAL-2 card for the output. I am using the same profile they show in the Help document as a place to start and my program is showing a True state but I am getting no output to the SSR. I can create any of the PID values at the HMI so they are easily changed. It shows a true statement however it has no output.

PLCHeat.jpg

Can you post your program (zip it first)? Your picture is hard to see. I will give us a chance to look at all of it and may find the issue.

On Rung 18 you have the Analog output tag Platen Heat 1:1 set as a output coil. Since that is a analog output I am pretty sure you need to be setting that to a actual value? Right now you are only writing a 1 or a 0 to that Integer and given that it is DINT a 1 will not move the output at all.

The output of the PID is 'Platen 1 Control' which exists nowhere else.

What is the part number of the SSR? Some can be controlled by an analog signal but most are just On/Off devices. Referring to Keithkyll's question.

Last edited:
I am controlling a Crydom 10PCV2425 which should take a pulsed output from a temp controller, we use them in other applications with a temp controller running them.

OK that unit accepts an analog signal from 2 to 10 VDC. Theoretically you could pulse it but you'd be giving up its best attribute.

http://www.crydom.com/en/products/catalog/pcv-series-control-relays.pdf

I see that the analog module is 12 bit. That would be a value from 0 to 4095. Try writing a value of 2048 (half on) to Platen Heat 1 in your Dataview.

If that doesn't give about a 5 volt output recheck your wiring.

For the PID to do anything its output will have to be placed in Platen Heat 1. You have the output of the PID set as if it were degrees but the range should be 0 (or 819 to give the 2 volts at the low end) to 4095 (full on).

If you feel you need to monitor the temperature outside of the PID as a safety check then compare the temperature sensed to you safety max temperature. If it is bad then write a 0 to Platen Heat 1.

Last edited:
I would go with the 2-10v as Bernie mentioned

Try using "Scale Linear"
Input: Platen 1 Control
In Min: 70 ( because your output range min in your PID is 70)
In Max: 325 (because your output range max in your PID is 325)
Out Min: 819 (that is 2volts)
Out Max: 4095 ( that is 10volts)

You have "Platen Heat 1:1" on rung 18
it is writing a Boolean value to bit 1 of "Platen Heat 1"

Someone correct me if my thinking is out of line here.

Concerning the Rung 18 questions; I tossed that in there just to see if a direct approach would get me some kind of output bypassing the PID control (it did not) it was just an effort to get some kind of output on that card.

Also as for the wiring this is a Zip connector and the labeling is correct so no issues there. I have the relay control hooked up but no power feed voltage on the relay yet, the elements were exposed and I didn't want any accidents with looky-loos so the fuses are pulled. I am testing at the Zip for voltage for the time being and have not seen one single indicator it is happening.

I have never used a PLC to control temperature before so this is new to me some of your terminology is not making sense to me so please bear with me. I am not sure what "scale linear" means could you explain this to me?

Your analog output module has a 12 bit resolution. So the output needs to be scaled from 0- 4095 (2^12=4095) with 0 being 0volts and 4095 being 10volts.

Since your relay would require a 2-10v signal to operate, it has to be scaled accordingly.

The OUT on rung 18 does not put the output full on, instead it writes a binary value of 1 to your analog output, which is almost nothing, that is why you are not seeing any output.

1) The analog output module needs 24DC to power it. Do you have 24DC wired to the ZipLink module?
2) In software, go to Setup, Hardware Config. Double click analog module. Do you have a check mark next to the channels you want active?
3) While still viewing the Analog module setup, click the Monitor button. Create a new Dataview. From here you can verify your 24DC, module status, and raw values going out to module.

1) The analog output module needs 24DC to power it. Do you have 24DC wired to the ZipLink module?
2) In software, go to Setup, Hardware Config. Double click analog module. Do you have a check mark next to the channels you want active?
3) While still viewing the Analog module setup, click the Monitor button. Create a new Dataview. From here you can verify your 24DC, module status, and raw values going out to module.

Keith, All of this was done during the initial setup of the unit, I did double-check yesterday and now I have triple-checked. The wiring and the voltage is in place, in the module set up page the output is named there is no other way to enable it. The values in the Monitor page are showing a 1 in the value when it is calling for heat and a zero when it is not, there is a 0 in the edit and no force enabled. seeing this I decided to change the value in the edit however it didn't like anything I put in there.

To be able to force the OUTPUT you have to go to the Tag Database and make it Forceable. Note: You have to do a "Transfer to CPU" to be able to force.

Then in Data View you have to check "Force" (while online) Then enter your value (819-4095)in "Edit" then click on "Send Edits". The Edit you put in should show up in the Value column

force analog.jpg