Old Siemens OP7 HMI

RockyLeafs

We have a customer with a very old piece of equipment (circa 1999).
That has a OP7 Siemens HMI unit. Their current unit has gone down, and are hoping for a replacement.
We have managed to source a refurbished unit, and I have some some files from our servers for the project (.PDB, which we believe might be the file for the HMI).

We typically never deal with Siemens hardware, and never anything this old. This machine was made by our company after we had took ownership.

We've tried to find a contract programmer to be able to connect and download a program to the OP7 unit, but every contractor has stated they are too busy or has not gotten back to us.

Does anyone have any input or solution for us? Again, we're no familiar with Siemens software, so we aren't sure if we even have the ability to transfer to this unit.

Yes the .pdb file is the Protool backup - great that you have that at least.
The Protool program can be migrated to something newer, either WinCC Flexible or TIA. It is probably best to go for TIA. Since the WinCC Flexible operator panels are also discontinued.

It will take some effort.
You have to migrate from Protool to WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2.
From WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2 you can migrate to TIA.
You must expect to check and modify the program since there is nothing in TIA that is 100% the same as the old line-based OP7 panel.

I think it would take me a days work to migrate the OP7 to a recent Siemens Basic panel.

Oh, I missed the bit where you stated taht you already have a refurbished OP7.

Yes in that case you need someone with the Protool software to download the program onto the OP7.

I"m sure the customer wouldn't mind upgrading to a new HMI if needed, but like I said we dont play much with the Siemens stuff.

If this was AB, i'd be done already.

We have a very old laptop with ProTool on it (part of our company taking over), but so old the a USB flash doesn't work.

We have a very old laptop with ProTool on it (part of our company taking over), but so old the a USB flash doesn't work.
Just want to mention this, even if it may be too much effort.
You can convert an old PC to a VM. You would need to lift the image of the HD off the PC.
You can remove the harddisk of the old PC and connect it (PATA or SATA interface) to an external adapter of another PC. Then use that to create the image and convert to VM.
In the VM, you can then connect to the OP7 via a real serial port or a USB interface.

Actually, Protool does not use licenses (except for PC runtime, but that is irrelevant for this topic).
So if you can locate the original Protool software, you can install it on any new PC (up to Win 7 32 bit), or a newly setup VM (with XP or Win 7 32 bit).

Actually, Protool does not use licenses (except for PC runtime, but that is irrelevant for this topic).
So if you can locate the original Protool software, you can install it on any new PC (up to Win 7 32 bit), or a newly setup VM (with XP or Win 7 32 bit).

I thought it was only officially supported up to Windows XP SP2.

But there are reports of people getting it running on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 (32/64 bit not stated)

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/WW/en/posts/pro-tool-v6-0-sp3-windows-7/66736?page=0

https://support.industry.siemens.co...6-0-sp3-windows-10/191411/?page=0&pageSize=10

But I see it as possible since I have run Step7 Micro/Win on Windows 10 64 bit.

Are you a Siemen ProTools contractor searching for a simple job?

Yes I am.
I can do WinCCflexible and Simatic manager projects too.
And many other automation projects by means of siemens products. In many industries such as : Automative , steel, cement and cement products and .... .