How to restore AB PanelView 1000 to factory setting?

wendaiyu

Hi, guys.

I get an old AB PanelView 1000 (2711-T10C15, SER: D) from somewhere. But there is a password to stop me accessing to configuration screen, even I pressed the white spot in right-down corner.

Could you tell me how to restore AB PanelView 1000 to factory setting?

Thanks a lot.

Hey All. I am going to pick this thread up from here. The second post on the thread referred OP to another thread. This referral may have ultumately helped OP to find a solution. But i think maybe it did not solve the original question. Which i have now spent around 2 days trying to solve.

How to return panelview plus 1000, (Not PVP6 1000. Not PVP7 1000). PVP1000. This is simply a different animal to the other two.

I have been in and out of multiple plctalk threads trying to define the problems i have been experiencing in the past 48 hrs. I have performed a battery of tests trying to pinpoint the location of the problem. I believe i have pinpointed it.

The condensed version is as follows:

My unit is:
Panelview 1000.

Photos attached of back sticker.

At factory settings:
5.10.06.09 (CPR 9 SR 2)

Assembled CAT
2711p-t10c4d1

Logic Module CAT
2711p-rp1

I am currently using FactoryTalk View Studio V11

Events that lead up to this headache:
1. I did a firmware update 48 hours ago.

2. Installed firmware 5.10.16

Initially i noticed some communication issues between panel and FTLinx.

As of this morning. There is no longer communication. I cannot recover communication. I entered into this discussion:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=116109&page=2
I was able to re establish communication intermittently for a short while. But now it is proper dead.

I am able to ping it successfully from cmd promt with no issues all through the past 24hrs.

3. I attempted to communicate with the controller using an older computer with RSView installed. This was working with this computer fine prior to the firmware update. Was unable to establish communication.

4. FTLinx is able to communicate with 2 other PLCs no worries at all. The issue is not with FTLinx.

5. The issue is definistely isolated at the panel.

Solution: Install different firmware.

Unfortunately, because FTLinx is unable to communicate with the panel, this is now next to impossible via ethernet.

6. I attempted to use a seriel cable. I was not able to establish communication. I could pursue this further, but i suspect this is going to stretch out the more obvious solution:

Solution: Restore to factory settings.

7. Have followed the following videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1meHqahlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syaS82D2SZg

Range of instructions combining resetting screen with a USB keyboard attached while pressing down on Shift+Ctrl, F1, white button on corner of screen during startup.

Nothing is working. The unit boots up to configuration screen, but not the underlying screen (promised land) with the factory settings option.

I have a couple of buttons in the back of the unit which looks like it would help. I cannot find instructions on how to use them to restore factory settings. I have also tried multiple combinations. No success.

346132432_855559702361833_1292107049580181682_n.jpg

Can anyone help me restore this panel please. Am now at wits end.

346131996_574496164753255_3731293271810248753_n.jpg 346119715_977871150016848_4220892072903552027_n.jpg 346118682_1002884487742277_4061071395771850702_n.jpg

I have a couple of buttons in the back of the unit which looks like it would help. I cannot find instructions on how to use them to restore factory settings. I have also tried multiple combinations. No success.

Start with the below RA link and select the User Manual link. In the manual section 9 is Troubleshoot the System. On page 219 is the "Restart in Safe Mode", this can be entered by first depressing the (Default Switch) followed by depressing the (Reset Switch) which will immediately restart the system in Safe Mode.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/products/details.2711P-T10C4D1.html

From what I read in the user manual, the reset button just reboots the panel (saving you from having to remove power). If you push the default button and then reset, it's supposed to immediately reboot into safe mode. Is it doing that?

...first depressing the (Default Switch) followed by depressing the (Reset Switch) which will immediately restart the system in Safe Mode.

I know what safe mode looks like on a Windows PC. I followed your suggestion. I do not know if this is safe mode, but it is a different screen which is at this stage a step forward for me.

346155084_1277962406429928_6876656336237411342_n.jpg

This screen also gives an IP address that i have not assigned to it. Which again is a good thing seeing as i have not seen this before.

I pinged the IP address and was able to communicate. But again it is invisible to FTLinx.

The other option is the seriel cable. Unfortunately i do not have a seriel cable handy. I ordered one from ebay the other day for this exact reason, but it is still a few days away from arriving, so next week at best. I will call around some computer stores tomorrow and see if they have one handy. But i doubt it.

What do you guys think of this screen? Any suggestions?

Unfortunately does not offer an option for factory reset.

If you create a USB firmware upgrade drive, it should pop up a screen to perform the firmware upgrade after you insert the USB drive. But a firmware upgrade/downgrade won't execute a factory reset. And you can't do it from the settings in the PV.

It has been ages since I used the ver 5 PV. I do factory resets all the time on the PVP6/7. But I don't recall if the process is the same.

For me, I always plugged in a USB keyboard and then reboot the terminal using the Reset button on the back. Then I start rapidly pressing F1 at the appropriate time and I would get a menu screen pop up where I could use my keyboard to select the option to factory reset the terminal.

I'll see if I can dig up an old PV here.

OG

Thanks OG. I have tried the keyboard and F1 trick already. But i only held my finger on F1. Not repeated. So i will try that now

I would be more than happy with a firmware update. I can see if i can find the original firmware and go from there.

Original firmware: 5.10.06.09

The only thing is i do not see the option for updating firmware using a USB?

Tried the F1 trick repeatedly. No good.

Last edited:
Use the ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard located in FactoryTalk View>Tools.
The wizard will allow you to create a firmware card on a USB storage device.

Use the ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard located in FactoryTalk View>Tools.
The wizard will allow you to create a firmware card on a USB storage device.

Will try this now.

Just attempted the above suggestion by KK.

Steps:
1. Followed the steps in this instructional:
https://theautomationblog.com/flash...-6-firmware-using-a-memory-card-step-by-step/

This is for a PVP6, but the steps seemed applicable. To a point...

2. My version of FTView was too high (should not have been relevant, but whatever). Installation wizard would not install.

3. Fired up old computer running XP and FTViewV6.

4. Downloaded the firmware from RA; Firmware V5.10.06

5. Ran firmware .exe file.

5. Used firmware upgrade wizard to create a firmware upgrade card directing the location to the USB drive.

6. Inserted USB into PVP1000 USB socket and performed combinations of resets etc.

7. PVP1000 did not identify there was a firmware flashdrive in the USB slot.

Maybe i am supposed to create one using an AB flash card? I watched a video of a technician doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEou_3jjZ2A

needed to open up the panelview and remove the AB flash card from inside the logic module though. It looked quite intricate. He also required a large card adapter so he could connect to his computer...?

Last edited:
What size and format was the USB drive you used?
I typically use a 1 or 2GB drive formatted for FAT only.
When you inserted the USB drive the PVP should have popped up a firmware update screen immediately.

What size and format was the USB drive you used?
I typically use a 1 or 2GB drive formatted for FAT only.
When you inserted the USB drive the PVP should have popped up a firmware update screen immediately.

I used a 32GB drive. It was formatted to NTFS. I will try FAT now.

When inserted the USB drive last night, but nothing happened. It did not recognise the firmware at all. Is it possible it did not recognise because it currently has the latest firmware already installed?

Solved. thank you all for your assistance.

Details are as follows for the next person, (and there will be many i am certain) who will experience this issue.

1. KK. I formated my USB drive using FAT32 and installed Firmware V5.10.06.09, which was the original firmware installed when i bought the unit (second hand).

The unit needs to be on the configuration page. When it is, and the USB is inserted, the panel automatically identifies the option to perform a firmware update.

This is the screen you need to be in:

346154533_1284366195814713_5789067086694798015_n.jpg

It is possible that for others, this might have worked. For me, the firmware update froze.

I allowed the firmware update to remain in a frozen state for 2 hours (just in case), after a while, it was just rediculous, so i reset it. The Panel reset, required me to perform a crosshair callibration, then returned to this screen:

346155084_1277962406429928_6876656336237411342_n.jpg

If you are lucky, you will not find yourself in this situation. If you are less lucky, you will, and you will no longer be able to access the configuration screen either because you now have a properly corrupted firmware update.

Continued in next post

Continued from last post 14.

I did more digging on the internet/youtube. I figured this is now no longer resettable as there is no working program that i can reset to, let alone communcate with. I found this video which ultimately had the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEou_3jjZ2A

The first half of the video is the author installing files into his AB flashdrive which lives inside the CPU module. Author notes that the IP was 127.0.0.1. This is apparantly really bad. No hope of cummunication bad. Which is why Author needed to install files directly into the flash drive.

Around the middle of the video, Author describes the following:

My situation was around this point of the video because i no longer had a working program in the PVP, but i did have an IP address i could ping. (ref image in post 14). 192.168.1.165. I could ping this IP address.

There are many posts and videos on the internet describing how to load up a configuration page in order to perform a factory reset. I have learnt in troubleshooting this issue is that this page, (ref image in post 14), IS the factory reset point. It is ground zero for this range of PVP.

The key thing to notice on this image is the Title at the top of the window: "Panelview File Transfer Utility".

Analogy. one end of a telephone.

Now open Firmware Upgrade Wizard, Select (Upgrade firmware on terminal), NEXT.
Warning window popup. YES.
You will reach this window:
346163466_758722522617298_315457392358218102_n.jpg
The line i have circled in read reads "(using PanelView File Transfer Utility)".
Under IP Address, enter the same IP address as the one shown on your PVP. eg. 192.168.1.165.
Analogy. The other end of a telephone.

Returning back to the PVP, there are two options under download type, Select "Ethernet [F1]" button.
Analogy. Caller on one end of the telephone calling the other end and is now waiting for the recipient to pick up their phone at their end.

Return to your PC, in the firmware update wizard, press NEXT.

Analogy. This as the phone call recipient picking up the telephone. It would be more intuitive if there was some kind of indication that there was a "caller" on the line, eg. a popup window, or an image, or a message, (like a ******** in this analogy). There is not. But i am just happy there is a phone line in place at all, so i will not complain too much.

Follow the firmware update process until firmware update is complete.

If successful, the FTLinx will automatically find the PVP. Note IP 192.168.1.165.

349239202_1423248828471046_4826452344731067156_n.jpg

It was a tough battle. Victorious.

Thanks again all for your help.